Britannia Buildings, Huddersfield

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and remains unavailable.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Designed by the Huddersfield born architect William Cocking, son of John Cocking a joiner, Britannia Buildings were built around 1851-1852. the property has a central parapet bearing the Royal Arms, above which is the huge sculpture of Britannia together with a flagpole.

Abraham Graham, stone mason was the principal contractor for the building (see also Byram Arcade, Westgate, Huddersfield). He was assisted by, amongst others, James Christie, joiner and Henry Garton, plumber & glazier.

Britannia Buildings was originally built as a warehouse for George Crosland, woollen manufacturer. He used part of the building and let other sections to other woollen manufacturers and merchants. It looks rather an elaborate building for a warehouse, but it is said that it was designed this way to give a good impression to travellers arriving by train at the Railway Station.

In 1925 Britannia Buildings underwent alterations. the ground floor windows and doors on the elevation facing St George's Square were removed and a new fascia installed. The architects for this design were Stocks, Sykes and Hickson and they drew up two sets of new plans for the whole building, before and after the alterations. Most of the property was occupied at that time by the Huddersfield Building Society and its offices, but a number of solicitors, accountants, insurance brokers etc used more offices situated at the rear of the buiding, with access from St Peter's Street.

West Yorkshire Archive Service: Kirklees hold the building plans for Britannia Buildings Reference number Central 14613