Briestfield Wesleyan Methodist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Class meetings were held in Briestfield from 1744 using John Green's house, until his death c1768-1769.
Briestfield was a preaching centre in Birstall Circuit 1776.
Meetings were held at Ruth Blacker's house and William Fisher's house from 1777. After William Fisher joined New Connexion c1797, meetings were held at Richard Taylor's house and later at other members' houses. Later they used a room at Whitley Mill for services.
In 1825 a chapel was built in Briestfield Road and a Sunday School was built on the opposite side of the road in 1914.
The chapel closed in 1995.