Birstall Salem Congregational Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Also known as Birstall Independent Church
An independent congregation bought the former Zion Methodist New Connexion chapel in High Street in 1846.
The Rev Robert Willan, a Congregational minister was working from Birstall from 1847 and a congregation was established in 1849.
A new chapel was built in Low Lane in 1853-1856.
The congregation decided to stay as a Congregational church instead of joining the United Reformed Church in 1971.
The church is still in existence in 2009.