Birstall Gospel Army
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Was established around 1885 by a group who seceded from Zion Primitive Methodist Church, Birstall because they were opposed to building a larger chapel in Low Lane. They used Mount Pleasant School near Birstall Old Hall for their services. The building was eventually condemned and demolished in 1913 and the Gospel Army then disbanded.
NB. The building at Mount Pleasant was used as a private day school from the 1830s, run first by Mr Brown and then by Mr Hunter; this school closed c1871; the building was also used for short periods by the Christian Brethren and the Quakers; it was also used by the Birstall Temperance Society c1832-1872