Batley Road Primitive Methodist Church

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and remains unavailable.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Occasional services were held in a cottage in High Street, Heckmondwike in the earlier 1800's with Rev Thomas Holloway preaching in High Street in the 1820's. The society was established by 1844 - 1845, using James Bruce's house at White Lee, impetus for the establishment of this society was preaching the work of Rev James Austin Bastow in Spen Valley in 1844. It took over from the New Connexion chapel at Heckmondwike Top c1848 - 1849 and a new chapel was built at the corner of White Lee Road and Batley Road between 1868 - 1869. It closed in 1975 and most of the congregation joined Heckmondwike Upper United Reformed Church. The chapel was later demolished. Note: This chapel was within the boundaries of Batley but was much nearer to Heckmondwike than to Batley town centre, it was sometimes called Batley Healey Lane End Primitive Methodist Church.