Batley Providence Congregational Church

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and remains unavailable.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Also known as Batley Hanover Street Congregational Church

Providence chapel built in Wellington Street in 1839.

New chapel built in Hanover Street 1856-1857.

In 1860 a Sunday School was built next door but one to the church; the manse was inbetween the Sunday School and the church.

Around 1902 the Sunday School was enlarged and from 1973m the Sunday School was used for worship.

In the 1970s the Sunday School burnt down and the congregation joined Cross Bank Methodist Church to form a United Church.

The chapel was demolished in 1980 and flats were built on the site.

The congregation (United Methodist and United Reformed) joined with Batley Central Methodist Church in 1984, using Central's premises in Commercial Street.

The church is still in existence as a united Methodist and United Reformed church in Commercial Street in 2009. It is know as Batley Central Methodist Church.

Records relating to Batley Providence Congregational Church can be found at WYAS: Kirklees under the reference numbers KC384, KC962