Batley Carr Congregational Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Also known as King Street Congregational Church.
Services and a Sunday School were established in 1870 from Dewsbury Ebenezer, using a warehouse in Victoria Street.
Around 1874 the congregation moved to a room loaned by Batley Co-operative Society.
A chapel was built in King Street in 1874-1875 and remained a mission run from Ebenezer until 1954 when the congregation separated.
A new chapel was built in Hyrstlands Road in 1963-1964 and c 1964 the old chapel in King Street was demolished.
The chapel closed in 1995.
NB. The chapel in King Street had to close because of large scale slum clearance in Batley Carr in the 1960s; the new chapel in Hyrstlands Road was built at the expense of Batley Corporation as they had required the site of the old one for redevelopment.
Records relating to this chapel can be found at WYAS: Kirklees under the reference number KC814 and KC851