Almondbury Poor Charity
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
The Charity was partly founded by an indenture in 1673 between Joseph Armitage and John Blackburn and others. Land in Almondbury was in trust that they and their survivors should use the rents to relieve the poor people in the township of Almondbury. Under the Honley Enclosure Act, 1788 an allotment on Honley Moor containing 1 acre, 3 roods and 9 perches was allocated to the charity. The charity was in the other part founded by the will of Jane Fenay of Wakefield in 1765. She bequeathed to the poor of the town of Almondbury the sum of £100 to be paid to the vicar to be distributed by him and the Overseers of the Poor. In 1814 the money from the bequest and the land at Honley were vested in the Almondbury Poor Charity and by an order of the Charity Commissioners in 1868, a scheme was made for the management and administration of the charity. In 1875 the charity known as the Poor House in Almondbury were to sell the poorhouse and its land with proceeds being paid to the Almondbury Poor Charity.
Records relating to this charity are held at WYAS Kirklees, collection reference KC644