Addingham Parish, St Peter and Township Records
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Addingham township and ecclesiastical parish: history
An ancient parish from c867 Addingham is located 7 miles from Keighley and 9 miles from Otley. The township is part of Skipton Rural Sanitary District from mid 19th century-1894 and Skipton Rural District Council from 1894-1974. The following website is a useful source on the history of Addingham Addingham Village Website. A history of Addingham Moorside can be found in a book by Kate Mason, Addingham: a view from the Moorside, 2008.
One of the earliest mills in the Bradford District was located at Addingham. It was called Low Mill and located at the side of the River Wharf. The Spinning Mill was built by John Cunliffe of Addingham on land bought by him in 1787 (WYAS: Bradford holds the deed showing this transaction reference: 124D77/99.) The mill was later bought by the Listers. A plan of the mill machinery is also held at WYAS: Bradford, reference, 124D77/41. There were several other spinning mills in Addingham.
A Kelly's Directory of 1893 lists three schools in Addingham: National (mixed) erected about 1842; National (infants) and Weslyan (mixed) erected about 1872. The National mixed school was opened in 1844 in North Street. Records of the school including log books 1863-1961 and admission registers 1877-1910 are held at WYAS: Bradford references, 43D76 and 13D89. The Old School or National Infants on Main Street dates back to 1666. Evidence relating to the school can be found in the parish constable accounts (see BDP1/7/1/1 below). By the mid 19th century the school had been taken over by the National mixed school and was run as the infants section of this school (see above for records). The Wesleyan Primary School on Back Lane/ Chapel Street was founded by a deed dated 10 January 1848. It was run by trustees connected with the Wesleyan Methodist Church on Back Lane. In 1874 a new school building was constructed in Chapel Street. Records are held at WYAS: Bradford including a trust deed and minutes of the school under reference numbers 17D87 and 49D88. The School continued until the 1960s when the First and Middle Schools were built at Back Beck Lane.
Addingham is now in the Metropolitan District of Bradford.
Please see the list below for some records held at WYAS: Bradford relating to Addingham township and the village.
|BDP1/7/1/1||Constable Accounts||1624-1694||WYAS: Bradford|
|BDP1/7/1/3||Churchwardens Accounts||1778-1793, 1848-1850||WYAS:Bradford|
|BDP1/7/2||Apprenticeship indentures||1685-1801||WYAS: Bradford|
|BDP/7/3||Bastardy bonds||1696-1782||WYAS: Bradford|
|44D97/1||Township map||1817||WYAS: Bradford|
|44D90/8/1||Map reference book||1818||WYAS:Bradford|
|49D90/9/1||Town book including churchwardens accounts, overseers of the poor accounts and memoranda of apprentices||1747-1849||WYAS: Bradford|
|49D90/9/2||Vestry minute book, including lists of apprentices, 1795-1802||1792-1846||WYAS: Bradford|
|49D90/8/1-3||Valuation books||1818, 1838, 1879||WYAS:Bradford|
|49D90/6/c&f||Settlement examinations and certificates||1776-1850||WYAS: Bradford|
|49D90/6/e||Removal orders||1693-1850||WYAS: Bradford|
|49D90/6/d||Bastardy bonds||1741-1816||WYAS: Bradford|
|49D90/2-3,5||Churchwardens and Constable Accounts||c1600-1806||WYAS: Bradford|
|49D90/5-6||Overseer of the Poor Accounts||1620-1844||WYAS: Bradford|
|WYB62||Brear's Sawmill records||1657-c1920||WYAS: Bradford|