The Story of the Gledholt Circuit, Huddersfield: 1888-1948

The following is the OCR text of a book and will likely contain errors. This page is designed to be indexed by search engines. Click on a page number to view the book in your web browser.

The text is believed to be in the Public Domain.

Page 3

18 88-1948

«.--

-THE STORY

GLEDHOLT CIRCUIT

Huddersfield

Compiled from the records of the Societies and other sources

B. Woffenden, Printer, Cliffe Works, Birkby.

Page 4

com e s

Page 5

SIXTY YEARS.

E wish to place on record our deep sense of privilege that it has been given to us to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of the Gledholt Circuit. We do so in profound thankfulness and humility as we reflect upon the great heritage into which we have come. It is no small achievement for a circuit to reach its sixtieth anniversary with the strength and vigour which our own enjoys. - Throughout the eleven societies a wonderful spirit of fellowship and unity prevails and we can claim to be a family in the deepest and truest sense of the word. f

This is in no small measure due to the wisdom of those who were instrumental in bringing the new circuit into being. _ We think of its first Superintendent, the Rev. T. Inglis Walsh and his colleagues, the Revs. Frederick Cunningham and Arthur J. Summerhill. In Mr. Walsh the Circuit was singularly blessed. Not only did he bring to his task great executive abilities, but according to those who knew him, he was possessed of rich qualities of mind and spirit.

The Circuit has been equally fortunate in its laymen, many of whom have given a lifetime of unswerving devotion to its service.

As to the future, we have reason to be not merely hopeful but confident. It is true that our Circuit has not escaped the general decline consequent upon the upheaval occasioned by two world wars, but if our members are fewer their spirit and faith are as steadfast as ever. - There is no Society which cannot boast of those whose loyalty and zeal suffer no diminution with the years. Nor has the Circuit lost its power to arouse the enthusiasm and interest of its young people. Gallant service is being rendered by them despite the stresses of the time, which fact fills us with quiet confidence for the days ahead.

A. J. SHIELDS.

Page five

Page 6

Ya

B any

Page 8

REV. C. O. LEAYCOCK

REV.. A. J. SHIELDS

REV. H. K. J. COPE, HCF. EEV. A. S. YATES BA., RD.

Page 9

HISTORY.

LEDHOLT Circuit is a happy, loyal family of G eleven Churches, and the life-history of these, though inevitably curtailed, is given with photo- graphs of each, in this Diamond Jubilee Booklet. :

Huddersfield was first honoured by a visit from our beloved Founder, the Rev. John Wesley, M.A., in June 1757, and, in 1760, Huddersfield was made the head of a Circuit. "In April 1888," so wrote the Rev. Joel Mallinson, a. much esteemed Minister of Gledholt Church, " an interesting work was begun at Marsh, where many years before a Society Class had been held. The neighbourhood was growing and was likely to become an important suburb of Huddersfield. A small room, off Mitre Street, was rented for services, and soon an Iron Chapel was built in Mint Street, through the generosity of the Rev. Joel Mallinson, and a Lay Preacher, Mr. Dimmack, was appointed. Two Society Classes were formed."

It is interesting to know that Miss Edith Whiteley of Willicholm (now Langdale), Gledholt, one of the six daughters of Mr. Joseph Whiteley (a generous and continuous supporter of the new Gledholt Church), was the first Organist of the Iron Chapel; also that the hymns for the first Sunday School Anniversary Services were arranged by Miss Edith Whiteley and Mr. Nor- man C. Peel, whose sister, Miss Ethel Peel, was a Teacher in the Sunday School. - Later, the Iron Chapel was moved to the site of the present Sunday School.

At that time, there were only two Circuits in Hudd- ersfield, as compared with nine today, and those were Queen Street and Buxton Road.

" On March 2nd. 1888, a joint committee met under the Presidency of the Rev. T. Moorhouse Thorp, and it was decided that the welfare of Huddersfield Methodism could best be promoted by the making of a third Circuit with Gledholt as the head. This ' scheme

Page seven

Page 10

involved the building of two large Chapels-one at Gledholt and the other at Mllnsbrldge with certain other important alterations."

~- ~The proposed new Circuit 1nc1uded Lmdley Wesley, hitherto part of Queen Street Circuit, and the three Colne Valley Souetles Slaithwaite, Linthwaite and Marsden, also Outlane Trinity, Longwood Paddock, Mount (a Mission Church of Longwood), all havmg previously belonged to Buxton Road Circuit. Kew Hill came into the Gledholt Circuit in 1890. " It was thought that a common fund of £10,000 was necessary for the carrying out of the new scheme-Said one ' Let us begin a subscription list tonight," and, in ten minutes, £3,311 was promised. The meeting throughout was cordial, - enthusiastic and unanimous, and the project was auspiciously launched, and an important chapter in the history of Huddersfield Methodism opened."

Thus because the two existing circuits did not wreck this scheme by harbouring feelings of discontent and disappointment owing to their semi- dlsruptlon and alteration, the Gledholt Circuit came into existence. What a great deal we owe to those brave, unselfish, far- seeing Methodists !

The Conference of 1888 sanctioned the Huddersfield division scheme and appointed the Rev. T. Inglis Walsh as First Superintendent of the new Gledhbolt Circuit, and he was also the Chairman of the District. His fellow Ministers were the Rev. Frederick Cunningham who passed away this year at the age of 93, and the Rev. Arthur J. Summerhill who died last year at the age of 92 years! -In their work for the Circuit, each of these three Ministers was greatly helped by his wife.

._ We are fortunate in having Miss Walsh and Miss Mabel Walsh as loyal members and ardent workers of Gledholt Circuit, which is so greatly indebted to their father who, in the words of one who knew him so well, Mr. Benjamin Broadbent, M.A. (General Editor of Huddersfield Methodist Record), " possessed the rare combination of high administrative ability, great intelligence, unmovable religious feeling and simple

Page eight

Page 11

Christliness. - Perhaps the most striking feature of his whole being was a singular winningness, an indefinable something that instantaneously won confidence-you had confidence in him before you knew him; when you got to know him you had got to love him." " He was a man of deep sympathy and most human geniality, and his inherited poetic and artistic faculty glowed in his sermons : he was powerful as a preacher."

His colossal task of creating a new circuit out of parts of two others was adnnrably achieved, and at his first Quarterly Meeting he " tactfully and patiently, despite some opposition, intimated the policy which soon transformed a deficit into a surplus and set the Circuit going with a spiritual impulse which it has not yet lost."

" Only a fortnight later, he was stricken down with that sudden illness from which he never perfectly recovered," but, after some months, he was able to preach again and to preside at the March Quarterly Meeting held at Longwood, and also at the May District Synod. On June 13th. 1889, "the sudden summons came and he rested from his work,” at the early age of 48, after ten months' hard work and ill-health. :

It was said that " the common anxiety throughout the Circuit during Mr. Walsh's illness was more power- ful than anything else could have been in drawing the Circuit together and in making the two sections into one, and his death united all in the sacred bond of a common grief."

"To those who cherish the memory of the First Superintendent of the Gledholt Circuit, the Church at Gledholt is a memorial of him."

At the Conference of 1889, the membershlp of Gledholt Circuit was 1,016, including during that first year an addition of 118 new members, with 63 on Trial.

" On Saturday, October 12th. 1889, the Foundation Stones of Gledholt Chapel were laid, and the Chapel was dedicated to the worship of God in October 1890, when sermons were preached by Dr. Moulton, President of the Conference."

Page nme

Page 12

Mr. Edward Brooke presented the new Church with an organ, and Mr. Ibeson was appointed Orgamst and less Edlth Whiteley, Deputy Organlst

A Lay“ Agent, Mr. H. Howard May, was most successful in his work at Gledholt which was crowded on Sundays when he gave unique Bible addresses. After a few years, Mr. May left Gledholt and entered Hands- worth Theologlcal College ; later, he married Miss Edith Whiteley.

"The Sunday School met in the Iron Chapel and was worked by earnest Teachers and accordingly flourished, and the numbers in the Senior Bible Classes indicated a strong attachment to the Chapel." The present School was not built until 1908, at a cost of

£5,600.

" The Christian Workers' Band 1ende1 ed excellent and fruitful service in the visitation of the sick and sorrowful, in the making of such cases known to the Ministers, in the distribution of leaflets, and in the pre- vailing of parents to send their children to the Sunday School and in persuading the parents to attend some place of worship themselves."

The first Quarterly Meeting of the Gledholt Circuit was held at Lindley on Monday, September 17th. 1888, under the Chairmanship of the Rev. T. Inglis Walsh.

Mr. Joseph Whiteley, a generous and continuous supporter of Gledholt, was appointed Treasurer of the Worn Out Ministers' Fund, and Messrs. Clelland and Whiteley were elected Chapel Stewards for Marsh. Mr. Whiteley was the father of Mrs. Bygott (Gledholt) and Mrs. Herbert Mallinson (Neston).

It was agreed to send best thanks to the Lindley Ladies for helping so generously to refurnish the Minister's House at Lindley.

Page ten

Page 13

A resolution, supported by Mr. Norris Peel (father of Mr. Norman Peel)-who was devoted to the interests of Lindley Church and the new Circuit- was passed, cordially acknowledging the kindness of the Rev. Joel Mallinson in placing the Iron Chapel in Mint Street at the dlsposal of the Gledholt Circuit, and greatly appreciating his labours and those of the Lay Preacher, Mr. Dimmack, Wthh had led to the formatlon of the Marsh Society.

The'questlon of the proposed New Chapel at Milnsbridge was introduced, the existing Building Com- mittee being retained with power to add to their number.

An interesting paragraph in the Minutes reads as follows: "It was agreed that the next. Quarterly Meeting be held at Gledholt, on Wednesday, December 26th. 1888, the Local Preachers meeting at 11 o'clock, the Stewards at 12-30. - Dinner at 1 and the Meeting at s o'clock!"

" After considerable discussion it was decided that a collection be made in each Chapel in the Circuit towards. the Local Preachers' Horse Hire Fund." (Where are the horses now?)

At the second Quarterly Meeting held on Boiing Day, 1888, the Rev. T. Inglis Walsh took the chair. _.

Mr. Thomas Mallinson was elected the Secretary of the Quarterly Meeting.

" Mr. Benjamin Broadbent announced a deficiency of £40 19s. 0d. on the Quarter which made the total deficiency for the two Quarters £94 2s. 5d. The meeting felt that this was a serious item and that great efforts must be made at once in order to bring up the income of the Circuit. A Guarantee Fund was forthwith adopted for two years until the two new Chapels (Milnsbridge and Gledholt) should be erected. Eight gentlemen promised sums from £5 (the gift of Mr. Eli Mallinson, J.P.) to £1 5s. 0d., and eight promised to raise subscrip- tions from the Circuit Chapels.

Page eleven

Page 14

The Rev. F. Cunningham reported that there were 960 members in Society, being an increase on the Quarter of 67, with 71 on Trial."

The Circuit was fortunate in having as the first Circuit Steward, Mr. Benjamin Broadbent, M.A., who was a man of unusual culture and who, later, was given the and, in 1923, was awarded by Leeds University the honorary degree of LL.D. for his work in connection with Maternity and Child Welfare, also for piloting through Parliament, with Mr. John Burns, the "Early Notification of Births" Act. - His elder brother, Sir William Broadbent, was Physician to Queen Vlctorld and to ng Edward VII and his sister, Miss Broadbent, was actively interested in all the work of Gledholt Clrcmt B

Mr. Eli Mallinson, J.P., was elected Circuit Steward for the next year and Messrs. Hannam and Arthur Broadbent were appointed to audit the Foreign Missionary accounts. Some years later, Mr. Eli Mallin- son kindly gave the Manse at Linthwaite.

Mr. B. Broadbent brought the Gledholt Chapel Scheme before the meeting, saying that it was proposed to build a Chapel at a cost of £6,000. . The Schenie was sanctioned. The Rev. A. J. Summerhill brought forward the Milnsbridge Chapel Scheme which was the building of a Chapel at a cost of £3,000. That Scheme was also sanctioned.

Mr. Jonathan Holroyd (the brother of our staunch supporter, Mrs. E. H. Beaumont) was appointed Circuit Chapel Secretary.

"It was proposed by Mr. N. Baxter, seconded by Mr. Thomas Mallinson and agreed, in order to get _ as good a representation at the Quarterly Meetings as possible, that in future these meetings be held on Satur- days (as near full moon as possible), that the Local Preachers should meet in the afternoon and the meeting be held at night. -

The Rev. T. Inglis Walsh returned thanks to all the friends for their great kindness to him during his severe

Page twelve

Page 15

illness and said that he hoped to be able to resume wor k in a short time."

The next Quarterly Meeting was held on March 23rd, 1889, and the Rev. T. Inglis Walsh was able to preside.

The June 22nd. 1889, Quarterly Meeting Minutes included the following paragraph »>-'" The meeting was quite overcome with grief at the sudden loss the Circuit had sustained in the death of its Superintendent Minister, the Rev. T. Inglis Walsh, which took place at Lindley on June 13th. Mr. B. Broadbent proposed that a vote of sympathy and condolence be passed to Mrs. Walsh and family. - The late superintendent Minister was much beloved in the Circuit, having in a very short time (less than one year) endeared himself to all who came in contact with him. - He was a wise counsellor, a judicious Superintendent, with a most lovable spirit.”

The First Local Preachers' Meeting was held at Lindley on September 17th. 1888, at 3 o'clock, prior to the First Quarterly Meeting. The Superintendent was present in addition to the three Circuit Ministers.

" Just as the benediction was concluded a letter of fraternal greeting was handed in from the brethren of Queen Street."

The Rev. W. Rodwell Jones was appointed to the Gledholt Circuit as successor to the late Rev. T. Inglis Walsh, and, during his three years' effective ministry, two hundred were added to the Church roll of member- ship..

At the March Quarterly Meeting of 1892 in accordance with the Huddersfield Wesleyan Methodist Council's request for additional Representatives (one for every hundred church members), Messrs. John Hall, C. H. Wilkinson, J. W. Pilling, Jabez Bates and Drs. Walker and Jow1tt were elected.

-From Tuesday, October 18th. -25th. 1892, a Grand United Circuit Bazaar was held in Huddersfield Town Hall, and the December Quarterly Meeting forwarded thanks to all who had contributed to its success.

Page thirteen

Page 16

An interesting innovation took place at the March, 1893 Quarterly Meeting :-

" Mr. Thomas Mallinson said that he did not know why they should not make a new departure and thank the Local Preachers for the great sacrifice they made in the Circuit ; he said that in some Circuits that was done regularly, but that he could not recollect its ever having been done either in Gledholt Circuit or in Buxton Road Circuit, but he had great pleasure in moving a very hearty vote of thanks to the Local Preachers for their services which were always willingly given and never more appreciated than at the present-this was seconded - by Mr. A. Broadbent and supported by Mr. Gee. Mr. Lawton was glad that the services of the Local Preachers had been recognised : he felt sure that they would all do their best either at Kew Hill or at Gledholt, the Cathedral of the Circuit."

A special feature of Gledholt Circuit is the existence of a Circuit Ladies' Association, the function of which is to raise funds for providing additional comforts for the Manses.. |

The President is Mrs. E. H. Beaumont, the Treasurer, Mrs. J. T. Bottomley, and the Secretary, Mrs. Foster Mettrick. It is difficult for us lay people to realise the sensations experienced by Ministers and their wives who periodically have to remove to fresh houses furnished not necessarily according to their individual tastes as ours are, and often very much lacking in the essential comforts we enjoy.

The Association has a most worthy object and has always been very greatly appreciated by the Ministers and their wives.

_- In December 1911, at the Quarterly Meeting, when Mr. Jonathan Holroyd resigned from the Secretaryship to become Tunior Circuit Steward and Mr. Norman C. Peel was unanimously elected in his place, the Stewards reported that the Ladies' Association had contributed the sum of £20.

Page fourteen

Page 17

A year later, Mr. Holroyd reported that £107 3s. 10d. had been received that Quarter from the Ladies' Asso- ciation, the amount including £67 9s. 6d. collected by Mrs. Sam Taylor and Mrs. Alfred Moore towards the liquidation of the Circuit debt.

On March 2nd. 3rd. 4th. and 6th. 1897, a Gledholt Wesleyan Circuit Bazaar was held in the Town Hall, and the magnificent sum of £1,540 5s. 74d. was cleared ; the Treasurers were Dr. Edward Walker and Mr. Thomas Mallinson. :

The Circuit has for very many years had a flourishing Overseas Missions Society-the present Secretaries of which are the Rev. H. 'K. I Cope and Mr. Foster Mettrick.

The Women's Department of the W.M.M.S., under the Presidency of Mrs. A. J. Shields, is continuing to do a great work, with Miss Walsh as Secretary and Mrs. F. Binns as Treasurer.

Our Sunday Schools and Youth Clubs are now undertaking a task both bigger and of greater impor- tance than perhaps ever before, and are worthy of our loyal support.

We have a Circuit Methodist Women's Fellowship

of which Mrs. C. O. Laycock is the President, Miss M. Taylor the Secretary and Mrs. H. Lomax the Treasurer.

During the year 1946-7, the Circuit was greatly honoured by the election to the Mayoralty of Alderman Thomas Smailes; both he and Mrs. Smailes have been life-long supporters of the Methodist Church.

Gledholt Circuit has, during the past sixty years,: been served by a loyal company of Office-bearers and countless Laymen and Laywomen; it would not be possible to mention by name more than a few but our appreciation of the work of them all is none the less sincere.

Page fifteen

Page 18

The fragrant memory of Mrs. Mary Holroyd will never pass from Gledholt Circuit, for she was so whole- heartedly devoted to Jesus Christ and His Church. In addition to the many offices she held at Gledholt from which her Christian influence extended far and wide, she held the position of Circuit Steward, and, at the close of her term of office, she gave, towards the maintenance of the Circuit Ministers, the sum of £2,500 in memory of her honoured husband, the Fund being called "The Jonathan Holroyd Memorial Trust."

she was a Gledholt Trustee and was keenly interested in Missionary work, being the President of the Circuit Women's Work Overseas.

To Dr. Edward Walker, this Circuit will ever be indebted for his long and continuous interest and devoted work which was shared by Mrs. Walker : he has held the responsible positions of Circuit Steward and Circuit Auditor, in addition to being a Trustee. He is also one of the original Promoters of the Gledholt Circuit.

_-_ _The value and extent of the work of Mr. Norman Peel cannot be adequately estimated, for, added to his record services of 37 years as Circuit Quarterly Meeting Secretary, he has held many other offices: he was Secretary of Gledholt Sunday School for eight years from its foundation, is a Trustee of Lindley, Gledholt and Kew Hill Churches, and, for many years, has represented the Circuit on the District Synod.

We are very grateful to the many faithful Local Preachers who help to staff our Churches and we especially congratulate five who have been preaching over fifty years:-Mr. J. A. Broadley (1894), Mr. J. A. Crosland (1894), Mr. D. G. Purchas (1896), Mr. A. E. Lee (1897) and Mr. Wilfrid Beaumont (1898).

Last November, Mr. Albert Bower passed to higher service, with the wonderful record of having been a Local Preacher sixty years: he had held several other offices at Gledholt and was also the Circuit Temperance Secretary.

Page sixteen

Page 19

We are fortunate in having as Senior Circuit Steward, Mr. H. S. Holmes who so wholeheartedly devotes to the Circuit his financial and administrative ability. - Mrs. Holmes, too, is rendering invaluable help to the Circuit. -

Mr. Eric Beaumont holds the position of Junior Circuit Steward and both he and Mrs. Beaumont are most loyal and devoted workers in the Circuit.

We think with gratitude of the noble army of Ministers who have shepherded this great Circuit since 1888: from 1943-46, we were favoured in having the unique services of Dr. J. A. Findlay, M.A., one of the greatest Theological Scholars in the Country.

We take this opportunity of expressing our appreciation of the pastoral work and sound, helpful sermons of the Revs. C.-0O. Laycock, H. K. J, Cope, H.C.F. and A. 5. Yates, B.A., B.D., and of thanking Mrs. Laycock, Mrs. Cope and Mrs. Yates for their sincere co-operation in the work of the Circuit.

Our grateful thanks are due to our Circuit Super- intendent Minister, the Rev. A. J. Shields and Mrs. shields for their conscientious and unselfish work and regular visiting of the members in whom they both take such a real, personal interest.

Mr. Shields never spares himself in his devotion to the welfare of the Circuit, both in connection with the organisation of the work and in his well thought-out sermons and addresses which are so full of comfort, encouragement and strong Christian Teaching.

A. sHILEL.

Page seventeen

Page 20

LINDLEY WESLEY.

HE history of Lindley Wesley takes us back to the days of John Wesley himself, for it is believed that the first preaching by Methodists in Lindley took place in 1770. On April 7th. 1773, Joshua Dyson's house, still standing in West Street, was licensed for preaching.

The first Chapel was built in 1795, and is now used as the Sunday School. Thus Lindley Weslev is the third oldest Methodist Church in Huddersfield, only Queen Street and Buxton Road Chapels being older. The existing graveyard surrounded the first Chapel.

On January 5th. 1867, the Foundation Stone of the present Chapel was laid by Mrs. James Nield Sykes and the Church was opened on June 10th. in the following year; the organ was added a few years later, and the old Chapel adapted for Sunday School use.

In 1888, Lindley Wesley was taken out of the Queen Street Circuit upon the formation of the Gledholt Circuit. In 1894, the five-light window over the gallery was given by the congregation in memory of Mrs. James Nield Sykes, and the following year, to commem- orate the centenary 'of the first Chapel, the Stones of the Chancel were laid, James Nield Sykes, with his daughters, bearing the expense and presenting the beautiful Chancel Window and the Communion Table, as a memorial to his wife. The President of the Con- ference, Dr. David J. Waller, conducted the re-opening services on March 25th. 1896.

Later additions to the Church were the pulpit, erected in 1904 by the Trustees in grateful remembrance of the many benefactions to the Church by James Nield Sykes who had recently died; a Memorial Window to Norris Peel given by his family in 1906, the window being situated behind their family pew; and a War Memorial Window to those who had fallen during the First World War. A memorial in oak is to be erected for four of our Members who gave their lives during the

1939-1945 War.

Page eighteen

Page 23

LINTHWAITE.

ETHODISM first set foot in Linthwaite 150 years Mago, when a Society with 21 Members acquired for its use the top storey of the cottage of a Mr. Mellor at Lane Top. Here encouraging progress was made and it was decided to build a Chapel, and " gladly did the members offer time, sinew and gold." ®

In 1806, the Chapel at (laugh was opened and portions of the old walls may be seen in the supporting wall of the burial-ground. Also the original stone tablet previously over the door still exists bv the School :- "Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. A.D. MDCCCVTL. Eben- ezer. Hitherto hath the Lord helped us."

f With varying results the Society worshlppecl here until 1867 when, at a cost of £3,000, Mr. Georges Mallin- son gave the present Chapel. . A new Sunday School was built in 1873 adjoining the old Chapel.

In the late nineties so large was the number of scholars that the work was carried on under great . difficulties and it was decided to build the present Assembly Hall. Again the Mallinson Family were our benefactors, for Mr. Eli Mallinson, J.P. generously gave

the requlred land, and Foundation Stones w ere lald on June 10th. 1899.

The early years of the century saw the School at its zenith as regards numbers, and, though there has been a gradual decline in attendance, which unfortunately obtains in many places, the School, owing to the recent re-organisation and introduction of modern methods, is still one of the most successful and well attended in the district.

There are many old class books, hymn sheets and documents of the early days of Linthwaite Methodism which we should like to quote, but space forbids. Suffice it to say that through these can be traced the time of the foundmc of the Church and the names of ancestors of a few of the families who are still such

earnest and faithful workers in the C hapel and Sunday School --

Page. mneteen

Page 24

MARSDEN.

HE earliest recorded history of Methodism in Marsden dates back to 1810 when a few men and women who were minded to live " according to the method laid down in the Bible," to use a phrase from which Wesley's followers got their name of "Methodists," started Cottage Meetings and Services at a house situated in " The Planks," Marsden.

Later, a house of two storeys in Fall Lane was ingeniously adapted ; the floor boards of the upper room having earlier been removed to house a tall eight day clock, a novel rostrum was substituted to enable the preacher to see the people in hoth rooms.

One Sunday morning, in the days of this Cottage Chapel, a Marsden man, by name, Luke Marsden, and a strong Churchman, set out for his own Church, but had to return home with his horse, which he had found straying. This made him late for the Service at St. Bartholomew's so he remarked to a friend in the same predicament " We are late for Church, I think I'll go and hear these Methodies-any time's good enough for their - shop." He heard a local preacher named Sheppard, and he was soundly converted and became an ardent Metho- dist, thenceforth, living joyfully amongst those whom he had once despised.

The stone sacred to his memory that was placed over his grave still remains in the front premises of the Chapel and is one of the very few relics reminding this generation of the old place and its Worthies.

In 1824, the first Wesleyan Chapel was built on Brougham Road at a cost of about £450.

In 1871, a new Chapel, costing £1,750, was erected. Later, still further extensions were necessary and, on April 8th, 1898, the Chapel was re-opened by Sir James Kitson, Bart., then Member of Parliament for the Colne Valley, and the Consecration Sermon was preached by the Rev. W. L. Watkinson, President of the Conference.

Page twenty

Page 27

SLAITHWAITE CENTENARY.

N 1797, six years after Wesley's death, the Hudders- I field Circuit Returns show that the Methodist Society at Slaithwaite had 12 members. Following the Kilhamite Disruption and founding of the New Connexion, Slaithwaite's membership became reduced to 7. The Society, loyal to Wesley's Conference, then became " Wesleyan Methodist." Although actual records are lost, tradition says that the Wesleyan services at glalthwalte in those rhstant days were carried on as Cottage Meetings. _-_ In 1817, the Society experienced a quickening, and _a room over a workshop at Scarr Hall was opened for Public Worship. The beam which supports the roof - gave the Meeting-place its name of " The Long Baulk." Those Methodists were openly derided and persecuted. Nevertheless the Society grew, leased a plot of ground, and, in 1839, with financial help from the " Centenary Fund," built a Chapel and then dedicated a graveyard. Before the roofing was finished, the " Shell" of the Chapel was used for services. s- A number of " Reformers " seceeded in 1851, but the "Old Body " was consolidated, and expanded, and, by 1865, it was necessary. to enlarge the ChapeI to its present size. f The duties of the Church in Soc1ety, Chmr School, and Guild have been undertaken with zeal by many loyal' men and women associated with Slaithwaite, and, during its 151 years, the Society has sent out 21 Local _Preachers. The Sunday School was established at the " Long Baulk " in 1819, and has contmued without intermission. During the " Long Baulk " period, the Officers of the School also provided facilities for instruction in the R's," and encouraged such mutual help as Funeral Funds, Blanket Clubs and a Library. _ The " New School" was opened in 1871 by Isaac Holden, Esq., who, when an usher at the Slaithwaite and Llngards Grammar School, was associated with the Slaithwaite Society. The present strength of the Gehool is 80 gm flats with 26 Teachers and Officers.

Page twenty one

Page 28

OUTLANE TRINITY.

ETHODISM in Outlane seems to have begun at M the close of the 18th. century when the Rev. Robert Newton contacted Richard Wood and arranged for services to be held in his farm-house. The Society had to move to a more commodious place known as " Long Baulk." Even this soon was inadequate to meet the needs of the growing congregation and land was acquired from Benjamin Whiteley of Stainland, and the first Chapel was built, and opened, in June, 1822, by the Rev. David Stoner. A Sunday School was started under the leadership of Eli Walker and John Shaw. The Chapel clock, still in service, is the only link with those far-off days. f

In 1866, through the ministry of a local preacher, William Donkersley of Honley, a revival swept through the congregation.

As a result of the growth of the Church, the building of a new Chapel was contemplated and, on May 5th. 1876, the Foundation Stones were laid by Miss Quarmby, Mrs. Storr and Miss Gee, and Miss Broadbent of Longwood. - The present Chapel was opened on the 20th. June, 1878 by the Rev. John H. James of Man- chester, and the old Chapel was altered into the Sunday School. - Later, new class-rooms were added and a Church Organ installed, the opening ceremony taking place on November 29th. 1884. °

The transfer of the Society into the newly formed Gledholt Circuit proved to be a time of great spiritual prosperity to Outlane, for, in 1889, thirty new members were added to the Church and the good work continued. In 1906, a new Trust was formed and a new School was opened on August 28th. 1915, by Miss Sykes of Lindley, the Revs. George W. Allen and C. W. Mitton, and Mr. Harry Dawson taking part in the services. The original structure of 1822, which had served as Church and, later, as School, was then demolished and the buildings as we know them today took its place

Page twenty two

Page 31

LONGWOOD.

HE first Methodist Church in Longwood was built T in 1837. In about 1825, a Sunday School was begun in a cottage on Lamb Hall Road. The chief leaders in the School at that time were Messrs. Dan Gledhill, Joseph Broadbent, John Jessop and John Rhodes. Messrs. Job Garside and George Taylor were also Teachers before the Church was built. j The Foundation Stone of the new Church was laid in the Spring of 1837 hy Mr. John Broadbent who offered ground to any extent required and, with his sons, Messrs. John and Joseph Broadbent, generously sup- ported the scheme. Later, in September 1837, it was hoped to hold the first Sunday School Anniversary in the Church, but, as the building was not completed, the "Shell" of the Chapel had to be used. The Church at that time formed part of the Queen Street Circuit, the Society Steward being Mr. John Broadbent whose father had given the land on which the Church was built: in 1845, on the division of Queen Street Circuit, Longwood became part of Buxton Road Circuit, and, in 1888, it was included in the Gledholt Circuit. ' A new School was opened in 1871, the Corner - Stone having been laid in 1870 by Mr. John Broadbent. Later, the Church was enlarged and greatly improved, and, in 1873, was re-opened. _ The School- Premises, too, needed to be extended and were re-opened in 1883, and, in 1896, the Officers and Teachers numbered 60 and the Scholars 468. ; Church Membership reached the high figure of 227, and, in 1894, by means of bazaars, etc., the sum of £1,787 was raised for a new Church. In September 1901, freehold land opposite the School was purchased. - The first sod was cut in March 1903 by Miss Broadbent, and the Foundation Stones were laid on May 16th. the chief Corner Stone being laid by Sir William - Broadbent, Bart., K.CV.:O.:, M.D. FE.R.S., London; a further £900 was raised. In 1904, the Church was opened by Mrs. Kenyon and the Rev. Silvester Whitehead (President of the Conference) conducted the Dedicatory Service.

Page twenty three

Page 32

ORIGINAL

GLEDHOLT. Trust Deed Benjamin Broadbent. Thomas Mallinson. John Hall. - William Cleland. Arthur Taylor, Joseph Whiteley. Edward Brooke. Joel Mallinson. A Arthur Broadbent. William Hampson. Henry Pullon, John William Piercey. Edward Walker. John Thomas Law. - Norris Peel. John Hanson. f Charles Winterburn.

LINDLEY. Trust Deed 7th November, 1794. James Dyson. Benjamin Crowther. Samuel Waterhouse. Ezra Wilkinson. John Hirst. John Robinson. John Brook. Joshua Armitage. John Blackburn. Francis Vickerman. William Dyson.

LINTHWAITE. __ Trust Deed 19th July, 1807. Joseph Whiteley. Richard Baxter. Matthew Lunn. John Gartside. Edmund Baxter. William Quarmby. Benjamin Whitwam. William Wilks. Richard Woffenden. Richard Hargraves. Benjamin Butterworth. - Joseph Roberts. Jonas Hobson.

Page twenty four

26th November, 1890.

TRUSTEES.

_ MARSDEN, Trust Deed 29th April, 1824.

Joseph Thornton. John Dyson. Paul Hirst. George Sargent. Beaumont Taylor, John Winterburn. John Newhouse. George Mallinson.

~ Jonathan Shaw.

Thomas Varley. - Luke Marsden, Thomas Wilkinson. John Anderton.

SLAITHWAITE CENTENARY. Trust Deed 1st December, 1839.

John Dyson. William Dyson. Joseph Webb. Charles Wilkinson. Joseph Haigh. Richard Benjamin Ashworth. John Clegg. Thomas Sykes. John Sykes. James Varley. William Lees. John Wilkinson. Thomas Lees.

- TRINITY. Trust Deed 22nd October, 1822.

Isaac Wilkinson. Ely Sutcliffe. Eli Walker. Samuel Goddard. Thomas Clegg. John Crowther, Thomas Lockwood. Joseph Thornton. George Mallinson. Abraham Hirst. Beaumont Taylor. Thomas Wilkinson. George Berry. John Broadbent.

Page 33

LONGWOOD. Trust Deed 14th January, 1840.

John Broadbent. Henry Brook, John Shaw. Daniel Gledhill. Benjamin Ledger Shaw. John Dyson, William Dyson. William Haigh. Joshua Lockwood. Joseph Webb. __ Thomas Atkinson Heaps.

MOUNT. Trust Deed

Arthur Broadbent. Allen Horsfall. Walter Scott. Sam Brearley. Gervase Taylor. Charles Whitehead. Rowland Shackleton. Willie Wrigley. James Albert Holroyd. Tom Taylor. Oliver Crowther. Crowther Hirst. Arthur Beaumont.

PADDOCK WESLEY.

Trust Deed 29th September, 1873.

Thomas Haigh. Harry Howe. -John Rawlinson. Henry Wilkinson. Richard Riley. Walter Scholefield. Joshua Cuttell.

_ _David Roebuck.

Leonard Fisher, Frederick Moore. Richard Settle. William Roberts.

Joseph Morris Lowe.

20th November, 1907.

MILNSBRIDGE. Trust Deed 1st January, 1889.

Eli Mallinson. Thomas Mallinson. Benjamin Broadbent. Richard Riley. James Beaumont. John Wrigley. David Roebuck. Edwin Butterfield. John Eastwood. Eber Shaw, James Lee. Joseph Whiteley. Arthur Broadbent. John Watt Bairstow. John Walter Smith Peel. Joe William Byrom. William Lumb. John Sykes. Arnold Broadbent.

KEW HILL. Trust Deed 29th September, 1868. John Kitson. Joe Kitson. Titus Kitson. Richard Marsden. James Brearley, Sidney Bates. Dan Smith. John Shaw. Thomas Broadbent Whitworth. Frank Whiteley.

John Kitson.

Page twenty five

Page 34

MOUNT MISSION

[°HE work of God at the Mount Methodist Mission, T began at 7 a.m. on Easter Monday, in the year 1883, when a group of young men from Longwood Wesleyan Church met together in an upper room at Longwood Edge, and decided to start a Sunday School at Mount. A cottage in Ray Gate was rented for the purpose. f The Workers also held Evening Services, distri- buted Tracts and arranged Cottage Meetings, Prayer and Band Meetings. Later, Mr. John Wrigley was appointed a Class Leader. After about two years, owing to increased congre- gations, a larger room was secured over Mr. Whittaker's shop on the main road, and services were held there for nearly thirty years. During this period the lady workers of the Mission began to raise money for a prospective Church by sales of work and in other ways. ' The first Trust was formed on August 3rd. 1898, and a plot of land was secured in New Hey Road, but was later sold and the present site purchased in Coal Pit Lane. The first sod was cut in July 1912 by Mrs. B. Broadbent, and the Stone-laying took place on August 24th. 1912, the building being opened on April 18th. 1931 by the Rev. Wm. Bradfield (Chairman of the Halifax and Bradford District), at an approximate cost of _ £1,000. The work at present is carried on somewhat differently from at first, as, owing to the loss of many workers through removals and deaths, and the changed conditions of later years, it was decided to ask the Gledholt Circuit to fill all the appointments, and the afternoon service was given up, a morning service taking - its place. We are thankful to God for all the blessings of the past, and for what the cause of Christ has been able to do for a great many at Mount, and pray that the succeeding years will abound to the Glory of God and His Church.

Page twenty six

Page 37

PADDOCK WESLEY.

HE above Chapel was dedicated to the Service and Worship of Almighty God on Monday, February 10th. 1873, when the Rev. F. J. Jobson, D.D. preached the first sermon. The Chapel was then part of the Buxton Road Circuit. Prior to this, the services had been held in a cottage situated in Church Street, Pad- dock, then known locally as the " Water House."

In October 1888, on the formation of the Gledholt Circuit, the Chapel was transferred from Buxton Road, the first services being held on Sunday, October 21st. 1888, and the Preacher being Mr. T. Dimmack: collections were taken for the "Worn Out Ministers' Fund." Up to that time the School had met in the Chapel, but it was soon decided to build a School Room, the Foundation Stones of which were laid on Saturday, March 29th. 1890. The opening took place on February 10th. 1891, when the Rev. Robert Morton of London preached a sermon in the afternoon, and, in the evening, gave a lecture, the subject being " Woman, her place and

power." The Chairman at the evening meeting was Eli Mallinson, Esq., J.P.

In January 1908, Mrs. Herbert Mallinson opened the Chapel Organ (previously in Longwood Chapel) which, through the kindness of Mr. Arthur Broadbent and other friends, was given in the place of the old harmonium.

In April 1913, part of the ceiling collapsed, but, fortunately, no one was injured. An architect declared the building unsafe.

Through the generous financial assistance given by old scholars, and by all the Chapels in the Gledholt Circuit, the Foundation Stones of the new Chapel were lard in October 1914, and the Chapel was opened in April 1915, at a cost of about £2,000: the debt was cleared in 1917.

Later, a new organ was essential and the opening ceremony was performed by Mrs. Beaumont of Buckden Mount in November 1930-the cost of £580 being cleared by February 1931.

Page twenty seven

Page 38

MILNSBRIDGE.

OME years prior to the division of the Huddersfield Circuit in 1845, Classes and Prayer Meetings were held in private houses at Casson Buildings and Spring Mill. The building of a preaching house at Crosland Moor in 1862 delayed similar action being taken at Milnsbridge, but preaching continued in houses at Scar Wood Terrace and, later, at Crow Lane Terrace. A room in Whiteley Bottom was secured and opened in October 1879, and, on the formation of the Gledholt Circuit, the Rev. K J. Summerhill was appointed to reside at Milnsbridge. A site was secured for a Chapel seating over 700, the Foundation Stones of which were laid on 24th. August 1889, and the Chapel was opened on 13th. November 1890, the cost being £4,000. _ The work expanded, and, instead of only 14 Scholars and 3 Teachers as in 1881, there were in 1902, 590 Scholars, 57 Teachers and 220 Members. The crowded state of the School inspired a scheme for the provision of School extensions, and, in 1903, a fund was opened for the purpose.

From September 1918, the Church was separated from the Gledholt Circuit and worked as part of the Huddersfield Mission. The suggestion that we should go into the Mission was not ours but was regarded as likely to be good for Methodism in the town and district. Re-admission to the Gledholt Circuit was sought and took effect in September 1927.

-In 1932, additional premises for the Primary Department and Ladies' Meetings (erected at a cost of £2,414) were opened, almost free from debt.

Much restorative work has been done since the end of the War during which the premises had been requisi- tioned, and present activity gives promise of a bright future. Men and women have found the services here an inspiration in their daily life, a solace in time of trouble, and are still proud to call it their spiritual home. What a story of changed lives could be told!

Page twenty eight

Page 41

KEW HILL.

HE Church at Kew Hill was built in 1868 as a TPrimitive Methodist Chapel and was originally in the Elland Circuit. It serves the spiritual needs of the scattered farins and houses of Lindley Moor and has always had a strong Sunday School. A feature of the early days was the Sunday School Anniversary held in the open air in a field adjoining Lindley Moor, led by the Charity Lindley Brass Band.

In 1890, the Chapel was bought by the Wesleyans of Lindley, at a time when it was in danger of being sold for secular use, and thus it came into the Gledholt Circuit. There were conversions at the first service of the re-opened Chapel. A Sunday School was re- commenced in the following year.

A Cliff College Mission was held in 1894 the results of which were felt for several years, for, in 1895, a Christian Endeavour was started with a membership of 40. Open-air services on Lindley Moor were a regular feature of the Church at this time.

In 1897, with a membership of thirty, the Leaders appointed John Armitage as Class Leader, and twenty- two new members were soon added to the Church. This was the most flourishing period in the history of this little Society, for, with the turn of the century and the great losses sustained as the result of the First World War, Kew Hill has never recovered its former strength. Its saving feature always has been, and still is, its Sunday School, which, in size, is out of all proportion to the small numbers in Church Membership.

Page twenty nine

Page 42

A SHORT HISTORY OF METHODISM. _

ETHODISM received its name in the University M of Oxford in 1729 ; but its real birthplace was the nursery of Epworth Rectory, where Susanna Nesley laid the foundation for the Evangelical Revival b} her training of John and Charles Wesley. - The Oxford Methodists abounded in devotion and in good works, though it was not till John Wesley's return from Georgla in 1738 that Peter Bohler led him into the way of faith. - : G Charles Wesley "found rest" on Whit-Sunday, May 21st, 1738, and on the following Wednesday John Wesley felt his " heart strangely warmed." On April 2nd, 1739, Wesley began his work as a field-preacher at Bristol, and before that year closed had a preaching- house there, and another in Moorfields, London. The - first distinctively Methodist Society was formed the same year; and in 1742 the work spread to the North of England. The Rules of Society were drawn up in 1743. Wesley had already enlisted his first lay preachers, and in June, 1744 he held his first Conference at the Foundry, London.

For the rest of his life, Wesley travelled all over the kingdom, and crossed the Channel forty-two times to labour in Ireland. Helived to see Methodism introduced into America, and sent out preachers to labour there in 1769. In 1784 he ordained Dr. Coke as Superintendent or Bishop for the American Societies, with Francis Asbury as his colleague. The Deed of Declaration, which gave a legal constitution to the Conference after Wesley's death, was executed on February 28th, 1784. Wesley preached his last sermon at Leatherhead on February 23rd, 1791, and died at City Road on March 2nd, in his eighty-eighth year.

The doctrinal position of all the Methodist Churches is identical. Repentance for sin, justification by faith, holiness of heart and life were the cardinal doctrines of the Evangelical Revival. Wesley taught everywhere that salvation was free for every man, and that all who believe in Christ might enjoy the witness of the Spirit to their acceptance. Pdge fili'i’ff;

Page 43

Page thirty one

Facsimile of Front Panel and Services for the first three Sundays on Original Plan

KC he. o {+ ORDER {- [E9

or THE

bli inf ws 1898-9. |- 's, 28 f cligious Pyeorvices , Paas -- paar - | GLEDHOLT........................103 Walsh \Cunnpingham l)? THE f a a a ea au 6 aa a ba n a an s a 8 6 a 6 6 Summerhnl - Walsh x M‘llin'on s

¢ Wednesday ..................... 7§if Summerhill | Walsh Walsh * | WESLEYAN: ME LNDLEY...........................10§HSummerhi'lT' Walsh 1 | Mallinson

PLACES AND HOURS. H

a ra. Walsh Cunningham 1|| Summerhill s

HUDDERSFIELO [.! .. Tolls" P - | _. P LINTHWAITE ..................10¢{Cunningham ® Hannam Rev.G. Sykosr

GLEDHDLT C/ROU/T | 6 &C. S/ Smith s| Hannam Rev.G. Sykes r p Ocish 88 Thursday 4. Tip Cunningham -F. Mesting folk Rieu 10 MARSDEN ........................ 10%] Didsbury - | Moorhouse | G. Sykes E Didsbury Moorhouse | Lockwood ®

January 17th, 1889. Tuesday........................... 7h Cunningham

Circuit Stewards { Mr B. BnoappENT, M.A. _ SLATTHWAITE 10§%}] Moorhouse w} Shaw Kinder - | Treasurer of Worn Out Mimsters' ard ; n trs 2a" Cu'ngham w Hey Whoelhouse Widowa' Fund, Mr J WEITELEYy, Willisholme, w | Hoy Wheslhouse

Gledbolt. ; f 7 Th“ ClRCtYIT QUA‘lTERLY MEETING will be fous Tuesday..cnoo¢| we e me a bn n e n e e n a a a e 7} cunningh'm cunninghlm 1h)“ mbmoantmé on Wésdémesday'htlhe 36m f" JO; @ Taylor w - | Wrigley F. E. Hoylo r ecomber at half-past two e Society 7 F a 34 Stemards grill meet at 129) to pay in thoir | t _ 1 pu Pmt Doy is Fridgy, LONGWOOD 105 Whoelhouse w Summerhill | Hoyle s’xiftJ stewa’d’ &YC requested to Announco ae n a e e nb na n ne n a ba a 6 l‘ heelhOu‘le W Slimmerhill SI ; I'IOYlG 9 on - the previous | Sunday, _ Sacraments, Wednesday a a s n BTT H Walsh Summerhill * Taylor Hirst E Hanson

%

08110313"? &e., andtt?i sce that thoy are ""MOUNT-Loxawoon. 3 géttend«( AS lppflln e e ne e e ee via ® Marriages are solomnized at Lindley, ~ PADDOCK Dimmack w | Beaumont Walsh ® Linthwaite, _ Mursden, - Slaithwaite, - and 6 |f Dimmack w | Beaumont Moorhouse E

Longwood (‘hapols ¢ muffs for bonnexlonal an(1 other 4 Thursday we en a a e enon en 6 n ne s ae be a i Summerhll]

Pubheauons reccived by the Superintendent T i] ta ine ote cath mons S*" " SGLNSBRIDGE .............;... 21 . Baxtor -| Summerhill || Dimmack a. Communications rolating to the noxt Plan - 6 If N. Baxter Foster Walsh ® must be sent to the not later Thunday Tgl. Summerhill

than Deceinber 18th. ""on apply 40 the Chapel! s __ *-Loeaders'® Meeting. C.S,.-Covenant Service. C.C,.-Circuit Collection. E,-Education Fund Collection.

Keepers. 2 8 (¥) . * P a E. Hodgkinsan, Printer, Now Streot. asp") C.F.-Chapel Fund Collection. F*,-Foreign Missions' Collection,. j pi ; v #'s f .

Plan kindly lent by Mr. Harry Ramsden

Page 44

MINISTERS.

1888-1889-T. Inglis Walsh. 1888-1891-F. Cunningham.

1888-1891-A. J. Summerhill. 1889-1892-W. Rodwell Jones.

1891-1894-]. - 1891-1894-].

Mallinson. T. Slugg.

1891-1894-A. H. Walker.

1892-1895-J. 1894-1897-C.

1894-1897-G.

1894-1897-J. 1895-1898-s5.

1897-1900-W. Arrowsmith.

Finch. Buzza. Minedew. Redfearn. Forrest.

1897-1900-W. W. Ward.

1897-1900-J.

1898-1901-E.

1900-1903-J.

1900-1903-G.

1900-1903-H

1901 -1904-CG. 1903-1906-C.

1903-1906-S. 1903-1906-J. 1904-1907-J. 1906-1909-J.

C. Harrison. D. Dannatt.

H. Cleminson,

Lunn. . Tregoning. Woodcock. E. Dove. C. Hall. Short. J. Smith.

H. Cleminson.

1906-1909-A. Gray.

1906-1909-H 1907-1910-J.

1909-1912-T. 1909-1912-E. 1909-1912-F.

1910-1913-1. 1912-1915-]J. 1912-1915-]J. 1912-1915-N 1913-1916-C. 1915-1918-J.

1915-1918-G.

Page thirty two

._ Waldron. Day. Moscrop. C. Palmer. G. Gray. L. Smith. J. Wall. - * Britton. ~D.- Thorp. W. Mitton.

S. Wilkinson.

Frayne.

1915-1917-A. E. Davidson. 1916-1919-T. H. Kidd. 1918-1924-E. M. Weaver. 1918-1922-H. A. Riggall, 1919-1920-J. A. Fletcher. 1919-1923-A. H. Stacey. 1920-1923-J. A. Chapman. 1922-1925-E. G. Loosley. 1923-1926-]J. Horden. 1923-1926-R. J. A. Johnson. W. Kettleborough. 1925-1928-G. W. Appleby. 1926-1929-R. T. Williams. 1926-1930-N. E. Smith. 1927-1930-W. Hopper. 1928-1931-H, J. West. 1929-1932-T. H. Ranns.

©1930-1936-A. Grime.

1930-1933-J. W. Thompson. 1931-1935-J. E. Clennell. 1932-1936-E,. B. Crocker, 1933-1937-A. J. Shields. 1935-1938-F. John. 1936-1940-H. Williamson. 1936-1939-W. Nicholson. 1937-1940-A. E. Riley. 1938-1942-H. J. Herivel. 1939-1945-E. Sutton. 1940-1943-A. W. Wardle. 1940-1942-E. Jones. 1942-1946-C. O. Ward. 1942-1946-F. B. Roberts. 1943-1946-J. A. Findlay. 1945- A. J. Shields.

1946- D. P. Hadfield. (Apl.-Sept.) 1946- 1946- 1946-

C. O. Laycock. H. K. J. Cope. A. S5. Yates.

Page 45

QUARTERLY MEETING SECRETARIES.

1888-1894--Thomas Mallinson. 1894-1898-Rev. Joel Mallinson. 1898-1906-Herbert Mallinson. 1906-1911-Jonathan Holroyd. 1911- _ Norman C. Peel.

CIRCUIT STEWARDsS.

1888-Benjamin Broadbent.

1889-Eli Mallinson. 1892-Arthur Broadbent. 1893-Joseph Whiteley. 1895-Thomas Mallinson. Jonathan Holroyd. 1896-EIi Mallinson, Benjamin Broadbent. 1899-Edward Walker. 1900-Jonathan Holroyd. 1902-Thomas Mallinson. 1903-Arthur Broadbent. 1905-R. W. Mason. 1906-E1i Mallinson.

1909-Peter Kenyon. Edward A. Harman.

1912-Benjamin Broadbent.

Jonothan Holroyd. 1915-Herbert Mallinson.

George Bottomley.

1919-Newton Dawson, Sam Brearley. 1921-Samuel Taylor. : 1922-John T. Bottomley. 1923-W. K. B. Broadbent.

7 1924-Mrs. Mary Holroyd.

1927-E. Stanley Etchells, 1928-David H. Firth. 1930-George R. Hoyle. 1932-Harry Ramsden, 1934-W. Smith Wilkinson. 1936-Joe Balderstone. 1938-Francis G. Copley. 1940-Alfred Lilley. Fred B. Hoyle. 1942-Harold Howarth. 1944-Foster Mettrick, 1946-H. Stanley Holmes. 1948-Eric Beaumont.

Page thirty three

Page 46

THE DIAMOND JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS.

SATURDAY, 25th SEPTEMBER, 1948---6-30 p.m. L LN EH WAL TE _- Circuit Reunion Speakers Kev. J. E. Clennell <ev. H.-J. West Williams Rev. E. Pomfret (Chairman of the District) Host & Hostess Mr. & Mrs. Herbert Mallinson

x x WEDNESDAY, 29th SEPTEMBER, 1948--3 p.m. MTL NSB RIDGE _Jubilee Bring & Buy Sale Chairman---Miss Esther Broadbent Opener Mrs. Thomas Smailes Soloist Mrs. -F. C. Hirst

s 4

SATURDAY, 2nd OCTOBER, 1948----6-30 p.m. GLEDH G I|. T

Circuit Reunion Speakers

Rev. A. Grime, Ph.D. Kev. -W. F. Howard, D.LD. Rev. C. W. Mitton. Rev. E. M. Weaver

Chairman f Harry Dawson, Esq., J.P.

On Sundays, 26th September and 3rd October, Special Services will be conducted by the above Ministers.

Page thirty four


Return to the Huddersfield Exposed home page