Huddersfield Market Hall
Illustration from the Building News (27/Jul/1877). Huddersfield Corporation acquired the market rights from the Ramsden Estate in 1876 and then ran a competition to design a new market hall to be situated on King Street. Architect George Edmund Street judged the entries and selected this design by Charles Fowler of London as the winner, for which Fowler received £150. However, that design was then rejected by the Markets and Fairs Committee who instead commissioned local architect Edward Hughes. Hughes' "Domestic Gothic" design was approved in March 1878 and the the building opened to the public on 31 March 1880.
|tags:||1870-79, 1877, Building News (Journal), Huddersfield, King Street (Huddersfield), Market Hall (King Street, Huddersfield), Newspaper and Journal Illustrations|
|date:||27 July 1877|
|rights:||Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)|
|date added:||28 December 2016|