Lydgate Chapel, New Mill (Albert T. Pile)
Between April and October 1952, the Huddersfield Examiner published a series of 26 pen and ink drawings by Brighouse artist Albert T. Pile in the weekend edition of the newspaper.
Saturday 17 May 1952
From An Artist's Sketch Book — 6
By Albert T. Pile
Historic Lydgate Chapel
Lydgate Chapel at Newmill is the oldest Unitarian place of worship in our district. It was built, 1684-5, as a place of worship originally for English Presbyterians, who were excluded from the Church of England by the Act of Uniformity of 1662. Lydgate Chapel was opened on March 28, 1695, by the famous Yorkshire Nonconformist divine and diarist, Oliver Heywood, who himself had been excommunicated for not using the Prayer Book.
|collection:||Paintings, Engravings & Etchings|
|tags:||1950-59, 1952, Albert Thomas Pile (1882-1981), Churches, Drawings, Lydgate Unitarian Chapel (Wooldale), New Mill, Newspaper and Journal Illustrations|
|creator:||Albert Thomas Pile (1882-1981)|
|date:||17 May 1952|
|rights:||© Estate of Albert Thomas Pile|
|date added:||25 October 2022|