Berry Brow Station
Undated photograph taken at Berry Brow Station, showing the two carvings that once graced the northern wall of the platform. The right hand side of the photograph is damaged in places.
The smaller carving (above the railway employee's head) was by stone mason Thomas Stocks - whose work included the carved heads adorning the Town Hall in Huddersfield - and was reportedly completed in 1864.
The larger sandstone carving (dated 1886) by was by Stocks' teenage son, John Charles Stocks. The figure in the centre is Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway engineer Thomas Swinburn, with Shakespeare and poet John Milton reportedly being the faces on the left and right.
Following the closure of the station in the mid-1960s, the larger sculpture was removed and taken to the York Railway Museum. When a new Berry Brow station was opened in 1989, plans to rehouse the carving there fell through and it was instead transferred to the Tolson Museum in Huddersfield.
- Berry Brow Station, Station Lane, Berry Brow
- Articles about the stone carvings at Berry Brow Station
|tags:||Digitised Items, Photographs, Photographs: Monochrome, Railway Station (Berry Brow), Railway Stations, Stone Carvings at Berry Brow Station|
|rights:||Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY)|
|date added:||27 June 2017|