Photographs

Title

Photographs

Items in the Photographs Collection

Cloth Hall shelter in Ravensknowle Park
The former clock tower and entrance of the Cloth Hall, incorporated into the shelter at Ravensknowle Park.

Meltham Branch Line bridge
Meltham Branch Line bridge over a public right of way, between Netherton Station and Healey House Station.

Meltham Branch Line bridge
Meltham Branch Line bridge over a public right of way, between Netherton Station and Healey House Station.

Meltham Branch Line bridge
Meltham Branch Line bridge over a public right of way, between Netherton Station and Healey House Station.

Meltham Branch Line bridge over bridleway
Bridleway which runs down from Helme to Meltham Mills, passing under the Meltham Greenway.

Meltham Branch Line bridge over bridleway
Bridleway which runs down from Helme to Meltham Mills, passing under the Meltham Greenway.

Butterley Reservoir puddle trench.
Undated photograph of the puddle trench under construction at Butterley Reservoir.

Cloth Hall shelter in Ravensknowle Park
The former clock tower and entrance of the Cloth Hall, incorporated into the shelter at Ravensknowle Park.

Meltham Branch Line bridge
Meltham Branch Line bridge over a public right of way, between Netherton Station and Healey House Station.

Meltham Branch Line bridge
Meltham Branch Line bridge over a public right of way, between Netherton Station and Healey House Station.

Folly Dolly Falls, Meltham
Folly Dolly Falls, just off the Meltham Greenway. Photograph taken by Dave Pattern on 28 May 2015.

Meltham Branch Line bridge
Meltham Branch Line bridge over a public right of way, between Netherton Station and Healey House Station.

Meltham Branch Line bridge over bridleway
Bridleway which runs down from Helme to Meltham Mills, passing under the Meltham Greenway.

Folly Dolly Falls
Folly Dolly Falls, just off the Meltham Greenway. Photograph taken by Dave Pattern on 28 May 2015.

Folly Dolly Falls, Meltham
Folly Dolly Falls, just off the Meltham Greenway. Photograph taken by Dave Pattern on 28 May 2015.

Meltham Branch Line bridge over bridleway.
Bridleway which runs down from Helme to Meltham Mills, passing under the Meltham Greenway.

Folly Dolly Falls, Meltham
Folly Dolly Falls, just off the Meltham Greenway. Photograph taken by Dave Pattern on 28 May 2015.

Meltham Branch Line bridge over bridleway
Bridleway which runs down from Helme to Meltham Mills, passing under the Meltham Greenway.

Meltham Gala
Undated photograph of Meltham Gala.

Cloth Hall shelter in Ravensknowle Park
The former clock tower and entrance of the Cloth Hall, incorporated into the shelter at Ravensknowle Park.

Cloth Hall shelter in Ravensknowle Park
The former clock tower and entrance of the Cloth Hall, incorporated into the shelter at Ravensknowle Park.

Cloth Hall shelter in Ravensknowle Park
The former clock tower and entrance of the Cloth Hall, incorporated into the shelter at Ravensknowle Park.

Westgate House
Westgate House on Westgate, Huddersfield. Photograph taken by Dave Pattern on 5 July 2015.

Meltham Branch Line bridge
Meltham Branch Line bridge over a public right of way, between Netherton Station and Healey House Station.

Folly Dolly Falls, Meltham
Folly Dolly Falls, just off the Meltham Greenway. Photograph taken by Dave Pattern on 28 May 2015.

Cloth Hall shelter in Ravensknowle Park
The former clock tower and entrance of the Cloth Hall, incorporated into the shelter at Ravensknowle Park.

Folly Dike, Meltham
Folly Dike, formerly known as Gylloproyd Dyke, flows through a culvert under the Meltham Greenway. Photograph taken by Dave Pattern on 28 May 2015.

Folly Dolly Falls, Meltham
Folly Dolly Falls, just off the Meltham Greenway. Photograph taken by Dave Pattern on 28 May 2015.

Meltham Branch Line bridge over bridleway
Bridleway which runs down from Helme to Meltham Mills, passing under the Meltham Greenway.

Folly Dolly Falls, Meltham
Folly Dolly Falls, just off the Meltham Greenway. Photograph taken by Dave Pattern on 28 May 2015.

Laying of Corner Stone, St Pauls Schools
The cornerstone of the St Paul's Church Day Schools was laid by Lady Gwendolen Ramsden on 27 January 1906. The Day Schools, which were situated on St. Paul's Street, were opened a year later on 26 January 1907.

Meltham Garden Fete.
Undated photograph captioned "Meltham Garden Fete, Crowning Rose Queen."

Plaque at the base of the sycamore tree planted by the Duchess of Albany in Beaumont Park.
The sycamore tree was planted on Saturday 13 October by the Duchess of Albany during the formal opening ceremony for Beaumont Park. The plaque reads: THIS SYCAMORE WAS PLANTED BYH.R.H. THE DUCHESS OF ALBANY,ON THE OCCASION OFTHE OPENING OF THIS…

The new bandstand in Beaumont Park
The original bandstand was demolished prior to 1930. In May 2000, the Friends of Beaumont Park uncovered the base of the bandstand, which had been hidden under a raised flower bed. Concerts began to be held on the base and, in 2010, work began to…

The new bandstand in Beaumont Park
The original bandstand was demolished prior to 1930. In May 2000, the Friends of Beaumont Park uncovered the base of the bandstand, which had been hidden under a raised flower bed. Concerts began to be held on the base and, in 2010, work began to…

Laying of Corner Stone by Lady Gwendolen Ramsden
The cornerstone of the St Paul's Church Day Schools was laid by Lady Gwendolen Ramsden on 27 January 1906. The Day Schools, which were situated on St. Paul's Street, were opened a year later on 26 January 1907.

Laying of Corner Stone, St Pauls Schools
The cornerstone of the St Paul's Church Day Schools was laid by Lady Gwendolen Ramsden on 27 January 1906. The Day Schools, which were situated on St. Paul's Street, were opened a year later on 26 January 1907.

The River Holme, below Dog Hall
Likely location where Maud Ellis accidentally fell into the River Holme on Thursday 30 August 1894.

Hope Bank, Honley
Photograph of a boat on the lake at Hope Bank, Honley, taken circa 1910.

Joe Perkin (1809-1868)
Newspaper photograph of Joe Perkin, taken by Bamforth and reproduced the Huddersfield Daily Examiner (02/Apr/1914).

The new bandstand in Beaumont Park
The original bandstand was demolished prior to 1930. In May 2000, the Friends of Beaumont Park uncovered the base of the bandstand, which had been hidden under a raised flower bed. Concerts began to be held on the base and, in 2010, work began to…

Sycamore tree planted by the Duchess of Albany in Beaumont Park.
The sycamore tree was planted on Saturday 13 October 1883 by the Duchess of Albany during the formal opening ceremony for Beaumont Park. The fence to the right of the tree once separated the main lake from the shallower padding pool.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

James Street, Golcar.
Undated photograph of James Street, Golcar.

The River Holme, below Dog Hall
Location where Maud Ellis accidentally fell into the River Holme on Thursday 30 August 1894.

footpath from the River Holme to Dog Hall
After 8-year-old Maud Ellis accidentally fell into the River Holme, her sister Sarah Annie and friend Annie Sykes ran up this path to alert Maud's parents.

Mr. Armitage's Garden and House, Meltham
Photograph from the Journal of the Manchester Geographical Society (01/Oct/1899) - The Carlile Institute at Meltham.

The Carlile Institute, Meltham
Photograph from the Journal of the Manchester Geographical Society (01/Oct/1899) - The Carlile Institute at Meltham.

Outside the Town Hall, Meltham
Photograph from the Journal of the Manchester Geographical Society (01/Oct/1899) - The Carlile Institute at Meltham. Although not captioned as such, the photograph is believed to have been taken during the formal opening ceremony of Meltham Town Hall…

Lecture Hall in the Carlile Institute, Meltham
Photograph from the Journal of the Manchester Geographical Society (01/Oct/1899) - The Carlile Institute at Meltham. Curiously, the windows on the far wall are not real. Presumably the wall was originally without windows and the photograph was taken…

Cocking Steps Mill, Honley
Mag Brook, with Cocking Steps Mill on the left. The stream was the former boundary between Honley and South Crosland.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Nature has reclaimed the old mill pond.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up. The overgrown mill pond is to the right of the path.

Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland
The remains of Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland, which was probably abandoned in the late 1800s, as it was listed empty in the 1891 and 1901 Censuses. It was likely one of two mills linked to Lower Hall Farm. In 1873, it was sold as part of a…

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up. The mill pond is to the right of the path.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

Lord's Mill, Honley
Lord's Mill on the Honley side of the Mag Brook. Built circa 1792, it was partly rebuilt after a fire in 1952 but now stands derilict and boarded up.

General Post Office, Huddersfield
Photograph of the General Post Office on Northumberland Street, taken circa 1906..

Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland
The remains of Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland, which was probably abandoned in the late 1800s, as it was listed empty in the 1891 and 1901 Censuses. It was likely one of two mills linked to Lower Hall Farm. In 1873, it was sold as part of a…

Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland
The remains of Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland, which was probably abandoned in the late 1800s, as it was listed empty in the 1891 and 1901 Censuses. It was likely one of two mills linked to Lower Hall Farm. In 1873, it was sold as part of a…

Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland
The remains of Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland, which was probably abandoned in the late 1800s, as it was listed empty in the 1891 and 1901 Censuses. It was likely one of two mills linked to Lower Hall Farm. In 1873, it was sold as part of a…

Lord's Mill, Honley
The upper floor. Together with the roof, this was rebuilt after a fire in 1952.

The Cottage Homes, Netherton
Undated photograph of the Cottage Homes almshouses in Netherton. The properties were designed by Joseph Berry and Sons of Huddersfield and funded by Alfred Sykes J.P. of Thongsbridge, who had been born in Netherton.

Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland
The remains of Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland, which was probably abandoned in the late 1800s, as it was listed empty in the 1891 and 1901 Censuses. It was likely one of two mills linked to Lower Hall Farm. In 1873, it was sold as part of a…

Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland
The remains of Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland, which was probably abandoned in the late 1800s, as it was listed empty in the 1891 and 1901 Censuses. It was likely one of two mills linked to Lower Hall Farm. In 1873, it was sold as part of a…

Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland
The remains of Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland, which was probably abandoned in the late 1800s, as it was listed empty in the 1891 and 1901 Censuses. It was likely one of two mills linked to Lower Hall Farm. In 1873, it was sold as part of a…

Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland
The remains of Lower Hall Mill, South Crosland, which was probably abandoned in the late 1800s, as it was listed empty in the 1891 and 1901 Censuses. It was likely one of two mills linked to Lower Hall Farm. In 1873, it was sold as part of a…

old farm track to Barley Misery (2012)
Photograph of the farmtrack to Barley Misery, also known as Thewlis Lane Farm.

Arthur Pearson (1864-1936)
Arthur Pearson was the Huddersfield Borough Organist for 44 years. According to his obituary, he was the organist at St. Paul's Church, Huddersfield, for over 50 years.

Scar Top, Netherton
Scar Top, Netherton, linked to both the Giants of Magdale and to the Devil.

Cook's Study, Holmfirth
Undated photograph of Chantrey Tower at Cook's Study, situated 3 miles south of Holmfirth.

St Mary's Church, Honley
Undated photograph of the interior of St. Mary, Honley.

Wilshaw Church
Undated photograph of St. Mary the Virgin, Wilshaw.

St. Paul's Church, Huddersfield
Undated photograph of the exterior of St. Paul's Church, Huddersfield. The church is now used as a concert hall by the University of Huddersfield.

St. Paul's Church, Huddersfield
Undated photograph of the interior of St. Paul's Church, Huddersfield. The church is now used as a concert hall by the University of Huddersfield.

Scar Top, Netherton
Scar Top, Netherton, linked to both the Giants of Magdale and to the Devil.

Scar Top, Netherton
Scar Top, Netherton, linked to both the Giants of Magdale and to the Devil.

Scar Top, Netherton
Scar Top, Netherton, linked to both the Giants of Magdale and to the Devil.

Scar Top, Netherton
Old rusty gate on Scar Top Lane, Netherton.

Scar Top, Netherton
Scar Top, Netherton, linked to both the Giants of Magdale and to the Devil.

Scar Top, Netherton
Scar Top, Netherton, linked to both the Giants of Magdale and to the Devil.

Scar Top, Netherton
Scar Top, Netherton, linked to both the Giants of Magdale and to the Devil.

Scar Top, Netherton
Scar Top, Netherton, linked to both the Giants of Magdale and to the Devil. A hand and eye are scratched into the side of Scar Top (anyone know what they represent?). Apparently they've been there for decades!

Berry Brow Station
Photograph of Berry Brow Station. The original station was sited nearer to Lockwood than the present day station. Behind the passenger footbridge is the road bridge which still carries Station Lane over the Penistone Line.

Scar Top, Netherton
On Scar Top Lane, looking up the valley towards Honley Woods and Meltham.

Scar Top, Netherton
Scar Top, Netherton, linked to both the Giants of Magdale and to the Devil.

Scar Top, Netherton
Scar Top, Netherton, linked to both the Giants of Magdale and to the Devil.

Cartworth Moor near Holmfirth
Undated photograph of peat cutting on Cartworth Moor near Holmfirth. The tower on Cook's Study is seen in the background.

Shooting Box, Wessenden Valley, Marsden
Undated photograph of a shooting box in the Wessenden Valley above Marsden.

Birks Mill Lane, Almondbury
Photograph of Birks Mill Lane, Almondbury, from circa 1910.

Wesleyan Sunday School, Meltham,
Undated photograph of boys from the Wesleyan Sunday School in Meltham.

Town End, Shelley
Undated photograph of Town End, Shelley.

St. Bartholomew, Marsden.
Undated photograph of the parish church at Marsden.

Ready Money Row, Almondbury
Undated photograph of a young boy outside Ready Money Row, Almondbury.

Castle Refreshment Rooms, Beaumont Park
An undated photograph of the Castle Refreshment Rooms in Beaumont Park,

Town End, Shelley
Undated photograph of Town End, Shelley. This appears to be the location on Google Street View.

Bradshaw Mills fire, Honley
Photograph of Bradshaw Mills, Honley, taken in May 1924 following a fire.

Town End, Golcar.
Undated photograph of Town End, Golcar.

Cross Church Street, Huddersfield
The building with the lion is the White Lion Hotel (now Revolution bar), which was remodelled in a Mock Tudor style in the early 1900s. A photograph on the Kirklees Image Archive shows how the building looked prior to that alteration. To the right of…

Holroyd tombstone, South Crosland
Tombstone for Bethel Holroyd (1804-1874) and family members in the graveyard of Holy Trinity, South Crosland. Bethel was a local stone mason and builder, and examples of his work still remain in the locality, such as the Bethel Buildings and Spring…

Holy Trinity, South Crosland
Photograph of Holy Trinity, Church Lane, South Crosland, built between 1827 and 1829 by Joseph Kaye (c.1779-1858).

Crab Tree Well, South Crosland
Photograph of Crab Tree Well, South Crosland. The water troughs were likely built in 1888.

Crab Tree Pinfold, South Crosland
Photograph of Crab Tree Well Pinfold, South Crosland, where stray animals were once impounded

Sun Royd, Meltham
Photograph of the sign at Sun Royd, above Meltham.

Brockholes Church
Undated photograph of St. George's Church at Brockholes.

Crab Tree Well, South Crosland
Photograph of Crab Tree Well, South Crosland. The water troughs were likely built in 1888.

Crab Tree Well, South Crosland
Photograph of Crab Tree Well, South Crosland. The water troughs were likely built in 1888.

Studio Portrait
Carte de visite by John Thomas Pentney (1855-1937) of South Parade, Huddersfield. Pentney was born in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, but settled in Huddersfield with his family circa 1900. Both the 1901 and 1911 Census returns list the family residing at…

Studio Portrait
Carte de visite by John Thomas Pentney (1855-1937) of South Parade, Huddersfield. Pentney was born in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, but settled in Huddersfield with his family circa 1900. Both the 1901 and 1911 Census returns list the family residing at…

Studio Portrait
Carte de visite by John Thomas Pentney (1855-1937) of South Parade, Huddersfield. Pentney was born in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, but settled in Huddersfield with his family circa 1900. Both the 1901 and 1911 Census returns list the family residing at…

Studio Portrait
Carte de visite by John Thomas Pentney (1855-1937) of South Parade, Huddersfield. Pentney was born in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, but settled in Huddersfield with his family circa 1900. Both the 1901 and 1911 Census returns list the family residing at…

Studio Portrait
Carte de visite by John Thomas Pentney (1855-1937) of South Parade, Huddersfield. Pentney was born in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, but settled in Huddersfield with his family circa 1900. Both the 1901 and 1911 Census returns list the family residing at…

Studio Portrait
Carte de visite by John Thomas Pentney (1855-1937) of South Parade, Huddersfield. Pentney was born in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, but settled in Huddersfield with his family circa 1900. Both the 1901 and 1911 Census returns list the family residing at…

Studio Portrait
Carte de visite by John Thomas Pentney (1855-1937) of South Parade, Huddersfield. Pentney was born in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, but settled in Huddersfield with his family circa 1900. Both the 1901 and 1911 Census returns list the family residing at…

Almondbury Church
Undated photograph of All Hallows, Almondbury.

Christ Church, Moldgreen
Undated photograph of a stone laying ceremony at Christ Church, Moldgreen.

Holy Trinity, South Crosland
Photograph of Holy Trinity, Church Lane, South Crosland, built between 1827 and 1829 by Joseph Kaye (c.1779-1858).

Crab Tree Pinfold, South Crosland
Photograph of Crab Tree Well Pinfold, South Crosland, where stray animals were once impounded

Bethel Holroyd (1804-1874)
Tombstone for Bethel Holroyd (1804-1874) and family members in the graveyard of Holy Trinity, South Crosland. Bethel was a local stone mason and builder, and examples of his work still remain in the locality, such as the Bethel Buildings and Spring…

Crab Tree Well, South Crosland
Photograph of Crab Tree Well, South Crosland. The water troughs were likely built in 1888.

Low Westwood Upper Mill
Low Westwood Upper Mill built alongside the banks of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal, now derelict.

Lees Mill, Golcar
Lees Mill, just inside the boundary of Golcar, now disused. Photograph taken in May 2016.

Lees Mill, Golcar
Lees Mill, just inside the boundary of Golcar, now disused. Photograph taken in May 2016.

Lees Mill, Golcar
Lees Mill, just inside the boundary of Golcar, now disused. Photograph taken in May 2016.

Low Westwood Upper Mill
Low Westwood Upper Mill built alongside the banks of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal, now derelict.