Country Borough of Huddersfield Technical College Jubilee (1934)

The following is the OCR text of a book and will likely contain conversion errors. This page is designed to be indexed by search engines. Click on a page number to view the book in your web browser.

The text is believed to be in the Public Domain.

Page 3

R. 48889.

Page 5

The Technical College has developed from _ the Huddersfield Mechanics’ Institution, which was founded in 1841 as the “ Young Men’s Mental Improvement Society ”’ and for two years met in the British School at Outcote Bank. In 1843 the Society moved to more suitable premises in New Street and the name was changed to Mechanics’ Institution. Its work continued to expand and in 1849 a writer in

Page 7

During the years following 1884 great progress was made and in 1896 the name “ Technical College ” was adopted. By this date the need for a large scale extension had become an urgent problem which was solved in 1900 by the completion of the main building of the College. New Laboratories were provided for Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Mechanical Engin- eering, and Electrical Engineering, together with Art Studios, a Museum, Gymnasium and other Rooms, at a cost exceeding £32,000. Subsequently the Museum collections were removed, to form the nucleus of the present Ravensknowle Museum.

In 1905 the College became affiliated to the University of Leeds. The affiliation applies to Arts, Commerce, Science, Engineering, Medicine and Surgery. Under this scheme students may be excused one year of attendance at the University.

The College which had hitherto been a public educational trust under tepresentative Governors was transferred to the Corporation under the Huddersfield Corporation Act of 1902, when the Governing Body became a Sub-Committee of the Town Council, constituted under the provisions of that Act. In 1921 a new Scheme of Management was adopted which brought the College under the control of the Education Com- mittee.


Page 8


Page 9

During the Great War when the importance of establishing the British Colour Industry on a firm basis was keenly realised, steps were taken to make special provision for advanced teaching and research in Colour Chemistry. Contributions to the value of nearly {£15,000 were received for this purpose from the industry and from private donors, including £4,500 assigned to the endowment of Research Scholarships. The Chemical Research Department thus inaugurated has continued its wotk with signal and unbroken success to the present day.

Page 10


There are three main groups of students attending the College courses. There are first the full-time day students who remain at the College from one to four years according to the course on which they have entered. Secondly there are part- time day students who spend one or mote half-days each week in the College and the rest of their time in industrial, commercial or domestic employment. Most of these part-time day students attend also in the evening. Thirdly, there are the evening students who attend three nights a week over

Page 11


Page 12


Students are prepared for of the University of London in Arts, Science, Engineering, Commerce and Econo- mics. The College is recognised by the University of London under the regulations for the B.Sc. (Engineering) Examination.


Students are prepared for examinations conducted by the following bodies :

University of London. University of Leeds. Institute of Chemistry. Institute of Physics. Royal Institute of British Architects. Institution of Civil Engineers. Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Institution of Electrical Engineers. Institution of Gas Engineers. Institute of Builders.

Page 13


Since the opening of the Textile Department in 1920 the roll of students and the volume of work have been constantly increasing. The enrolment of students has doubled in the last 17 yeats and the volume of work has doubled in 15 years. Year by year the demand for better accommodation becomes more and more insistent. Almost every department can put forward a strong claim for enlarged boundaries.

Return to the Huddersfield Exposed home page
View the list of other OCR'd books