County Borough of Huddersfield: Jubilee Handbook (1897) by D.F.E. Sykes

The following is the OCR text of a book and will likely contain conversion errors. This page is designed to be indexed by search engines. Click on a page number to view the book in your web browser.

The text is believed to be in the Public Domain.

Page 5

<> I Xi

Page 7


Page 8


Watchmaker, Jeweller, and Optician, 90,

Page 9

s+ INDEX. &

Page 11


Page 12

Brow Rd., Paddock, Huddersfield,




Afso VEGETABLE TINCTURES, COUGH SYRUPS, and other valuable Botanic Remedies.

PILLS.—Stomach and Head, Wind and Water, Liver, Antibilious, Nervine. The Family Vapour Bath. Apparatus complete, 1/6 each.


Page 13


Page 14


Page 15





Page 16


Pookseller, Stationer,


Fancy % Leather

Page 17

the temples of God have been flanked by the palaces of knowledge, and the blessings of plenty have cheered the lot and brightened the way of the toiling thousands: such is

From a OLD KIRKGATE. [by F. Collins.

the joyous theme to which my pen is set, to swell the chorus of this eventful Jubilee.

Page 18

SAVE <ts. IN THE &

By purchasing your Groceries & Provisions at

Page 19

The diligent student of topographic annals will not have failed to observe that the early history of many, if not of most, of our English towns is closely linked with the fortunes of some noble family whose feudal appanage they have chanced to be. Of such towns the history is well nigh a romance. Stories of siege, of rapine, and of slaughter shed a lurid light upon its pages. The serfs of the fief bore their perilous part in the rivalries, the plottings, and the ambitions of their liege lords, and deeds of yeoman service were chronicled with the feats of knightly prowess.

For such exciting topics the curious will search with scant reward in the archives of Huddersfield’s story. The vicinity of Huddersfield doubtless felt the fury of William the Conqueror’s consuming wrath, when that monarch vowed ‘ by the splendour of

Page 21

arising from strikes or lock-outs, allusion to which will find more fitting place in a later portion of this brief narrative, and which seem to be, unhappily, inevitable incidents of the industry in which its inhabitants are so largely engaged.

During the Roman occupation, this part of England was inhabited by an aboriginal tribe, the Brigantes, of whose fierce and warlike character Tacitus and other Latin writers speak with generous admiration. A Roman camp existed at Slack, on the confines of the Borough, which after much archeological controversy has now been satis- factorily identified with the Cambodunum of early writers. The discovery of an altar bearing the inscription :


Page 22

HSTA 1650.

We respectfully solicit an inspection of our stock of

Musical Instruments


Page 23

It is possible, too, that a Roman fortress may have frowned down upon Huddersfield from the summit of Castle Almondbury. Almondbury is said by Canon Hulbert to bea word of hybrid

Page 24


Page 25

Similar entries are to be found in Domesday Book concerning Almondbury, Bradley, Crosland, Lindley, and Quarmby, from which it is clear that, after the Conquest, the lands now comprised in the Borough, were taken by William from the Saxon owners and conferred upon Ilbert de Lacy, by whom the former holders were permitted to remain in possession as his tenants. This Norman adventurer, Ilbert de Lacy, was the founder of one of the most powerful families of the north, who, to atone perhaps for deeds of violence, established the religious houses of Nostel, Pontefract, and Kirkstall, and it is believed erected the first Parish Church of Huddersfield. It is not of much moment to trace the devolution of the manor from feudal lord to feudal lord. In the general break up of great estates which followed

Page 26


Page 27

as a seat of the Woollen Manufacture. From time immemorial the wool of England has been highly prized, and even so early as the reigns of Henry I, Stephen, and


[by Sellman & Co.


Page 28


Page 29

kings to have been most impressed with the boundless possibilities of the woollen industry in this country. The following extracts from Zhe Golden Fleece, published in 1597, is of considerable interest

Page 30

HUNDREDS ARE USING And enthusiastically praising



1/7 per pound, 3lb. parcel 4/6. A

Page 31

where be lost, but the materials resting upon his English subjects’ hands would soon ruin the whole gentry and yeomanry for want of vending their wools. Now, to show how King Edward smoothed these rough and uneven passages were too tedious to this short narrative, though otherwise in their contrivance, they may be found to be ingenious, pleasing, and of great use.

Page 32

&Co., I

Page 33

many frays, broils, and riots were the result.” Thus in 1430 the local authorities of Bristol fined a Flemish settler for having caused various machines for weaving and making woollen cloths to be set up in his houses, and for having hired weavers and other workmen for this purpose ; but the fine was remitted by the King’s special and personal order.

The natural advantages presented by this neighbour- hood would not fail to attract the attention of those seeking suitable sites for woollen establishments. The lofty and extensive ranges of hills, constituting watersheds of incal- culable collecting powers, the abundance of the water for power, and its peculiar softness for dyeing, due to a subtle chemical something which has, I believe, defied analysis, the vast expanse of moorland little fit for horned cattle but affording ample if not rich pasturage for sheep, and the proximity of rich supplies of coal, all combined to mark this district as a very elysium for the enterprising pioneers of the new industry, and there can be little doubt that at a very early period the infant art was nursed and cherished in our rude vales. That Flemish immigrants found their way here is, I think, beyond doubt. There was or is a family called Fleming in Almondbury, one of the oldest families of that ancient parish, and it used to be a tradition in the family that they came originally from Flanders.

Down to 1530 the wool was spun by distaff and spindle, but in that year the one-thread spinning wheel, something like the hand-loom weaver’s bobbin wheel, was introduced. The ladies of country mansions—the spin-sters—became adept at the art of spinning. A Lincolnshire lady, a Miss Ives, of Spalding, spun a pound of wook into 954 miles of yarn. The one-thread spinning wheel was surpassed by the


Page 34

Drapery Warehouse,


We Manufacture our own Dress Goods.

Our system of selling for CASH ONLY enables us to sell to everybody at very close profits.

Best Value at the Lowest Prices.

Page 35

old hand-jenny of Hargreaves, but domestic spinning was a

favourite family occupation in this district. In a lecture delivered by the late Chas. Vickerman in 1879 he says, old grandfather was carding engineer for the Mr. Horsfall that was shot by the Luddites on Crosland Moor, and he used to tell me about the shepherd farmers bringing to him a few stones of wool to card at the little mill at the foot of the Wessenden Valley, and when it was carded they would fetch it home in the carding, rolled up in wrappers, and that they used to while away their long winter evenings by spinning on the one-thread wheel, deeming it unsafe to trust both carding and spinning to machinery, lest the cloth should not wear well.”

The year 1738 is memorable as that in which a patent was granted to John Wyatt, of Birmingham, for spinning cotton by machinery. Other inventions and improvements followed in quick succession.. In 1780 the first scribbling machine set up in this district was put into Ing Nook Mill, a little mill in the New Mill neighbourhood, and Mr. Vickerman, in the lecture I have already quoted, informed his audience that he had frequently conversed with an old slubber that slubbed a Billy for Atkinson’s, of Bradley Mills, when there were only six Billys in the neighbourhood of Huddersfield. In 1784 Dr. Cartwright invented the power loom, and thenceforward not only was the whole process of manufacturing metamorphosed, but trade increased in volume with almost incredible rapidity. It was about this period, in 1768, that the Cloth Hall was erected by Sir John Ramsden. Prior to that it was customary for the merchants to expose their cloths on stalls in the open air, verily that market ouvert lawyers prate of. That Huddersfield even anterior to this had become a noted centre of commerce


Page 36

Ati. A. Whitleron,


Page 37

may be ‘gathered from: more than one source. In 1727 Daniel Defoe visited the district, and in his story tells us that the trade chiefly consisted in woollen goods called kersies, which were produced in abundance in all the neighbouring villages and were sold at Huddersfield. Oaten bread and oat cakes, we are informed by the same author, were the favourite food of the people, and he speaks of the ale of Huddersfield as being remarkably good. So

Page 38

Jkorntons Clothing

Page 39

Goods, and Merchandise whatever, and further that ye said John Ramsden his heirs and assigns shall and may have take and receive to his and their_own proper

Page 40


Page 41

appertaining or from thence coming or arising. And may have hold and enjoy the aforesaid tolls profits and other the premises aforesaid unto the said John Ramsden his heirs and assigns to his and their own proper use and uses for ever, without anything to us our heirs or successors to be paid or performed. And we do by these presents finally command that ye said John Ramsden his heirs and assigns shall freely lawfully and quolly* have hold and enjoy ye aforesaid market and ye tolls and profits to ye same belonging, or from thence from time to time coming and arising, according to ye tenor and true meaning of these our Letters Patent without any molestation hindrance or denials of Us our Heirs or Successors or of our Sheriffs, Bailiffs, Officers or Ministers or any other persons whatsoever.

Dated ye first day of November in ye twenty-third year of our reign (1672).” The position of the now rising town in the lap of the Pennine range whilst affording to the mills abundant _ streams of pure water from the clustering hills had the counterbalancing effect of making exit from the valley toilsome and costly. The King’s highroads were bad and fondrous. The hills were steep, their ascent hard, for the cumbrous wains groaning and creaking under the heavy burden of good broadcloth. But our ancestors had to brave the perils of these roads to sell their goods, and buyers from the great cities of the south, and the foreign agents from the ports must oft have cursed the fate which in the wild winter days compelled them to penetrate the fastnesses of this hill-girt town. The manufactured pieces destined for distant marts inland must perforce be conveyed by waggon to the great

* qy. quietly. 35

Page 42


Page 43

centres of commerce. The coaches for passengers, and the wains for merchandise, used to start from the Pack Horse

and the Warren House, and many still living remember the familiar procession. To the tourist on pleasure bent, the dashing coach with its thrilling horn may present an alluring picture ; but to a business man time is money, and the swaying coaches that were thought marvels of speed, if by swift changing relays of horses they accomplished the journey between Huddersfield and London in thirty-six hours of incessant travel would chafe to distraction the eager bagsman of to-day. In the year 1780, however, the river Calder was made navigable from Wakefield to Halifax, and five years later the Ramsden Canal was made from the Calder at Cooper Bridge to Aspley, thus opening up an outlet to the coast. After eighteen years devoted to its construction, a still more costly undertaking, the Huddersfield Canal, working its dank and gloomy way beneath the ponderous

Page 44


Jom Stephenson

Page 45

the square, which with its graceful marble statue of Sir Robert Peel is admirably designed to impress the visitor with the structural elegance of the modern parts of the

[by F, Collins.


From a Photo.]

town. The railroads of the L. & N. W. and the L. & Y. Companies, over the latter of which the Great Northern Co.


Page 48

Ralph Cuthbert,

Chemist, Westgate,


High-Class Aerated Table Waters

Analyst’s Report and Price List on application.

Chemical and Apparatus,

Metric Weights and Measures,


Page 49

The rapid transaction of business requires not only the means of constant personal communication but corres- pondence swift and secure by letter. The mode in which

[by F. Collins.


From a

correspondence was carried on between various places, when the Huddersfield Cloth Market Hall was built, may excite,


Page 50


Patent HYGIENIC Gas Cooking Range

There is only one Best, and that is the “ HYGIENIC,” having the following advantages over all others :—

Patent Top

Page 51

says Lord Macaulay, the scorn of this generation, yet it was such as might have moved the admiration and envy of the polished nations of antiquity, or of the contemporaries of Raleigh and Cecil. A rude and imperfect establishment of posts for the conveyance of letters had been set up by Charles the First, and had been swept away by the Civil Wars—under the Commonwealth the design was resumed. On most lines of road the mails went out and came in only on alternate days. In Cornwall, in the Fens of Lincoln- shire, and among the hills and lakes of Cumberland, letters were received only once a week. The bags were carried on horseback, day and night, at the rate of about five miles an hour. The charge for carrying a single letter was twopence for eighty miles, and threepence for a longer distance. The postage increased in proportion to the weight of the packet.

In Huddersfield, quotes Mr. Owen Balmforth in his excellent History of Huddersfield, all the post office business eighty years ago was in the hands of one old woman, who marked the price on each letter, for in those days letters were paid for on delivery, and another old woman had all the delivering to attend to. The post office was in Old Street, Kirkgate. Thence it was removed to the corner of the Market Place in New Street, later still to the opposite side of New Street. At the Market Place office Mr. Wm. North was for many years the Post-master. People in business usually fetched their letters in bags, other missives reached their destination very much as the few postmen pleased. From New Street the central office was trans- ferred to the present palatial pile in Northumberland Street, and the employés attached to it number over 100. In 1857 the letters delivered averaged 28,600 weekly, in 1867, 50,200 weekly, and they now number some 140,000 weekly, and


Page 52

Is now showing all the

Page 53

there is moreover a yearly delivery from the central or other

town offices of near half-a-million telegrams.

POST OFFICE. (by F. Collins.

From a

The introduction of machinery which marked the end of the eighteenth and the beginning of the nineteenth century was not productive of unmixed blessings. In many


Page 54


Page 56


Page 57

that I will punish by death any traitor, should any rise up among us, and will pursue him to the verge of the Statute. I will be just, sober, and true to all my fellows, so help me God to preserve this my oath inviolate.”

The animosity of the Luddites of this district was directed especially against Mr. Enoch Taylor, the senior partner of the firm of E. and J. Taylor, mechanics and ironfounders of Marsden, who had been active in the introduction of the new machinery into the neighbourhood, and after whom they dubbed the sledge-hammers with which they demolished the objects of their childish wrath, Enoch. Mr. his life was often threatened, escaped actual violence. Not so fortunate was his intimate friend Mr. Horsfall, of Marsden. That gentleman had been quick to perceive the immense advantages offered by the power- looms, and had persisted in superseding by them the clumsy devices of former days. Mr. Horsfall was singled out as an example. It was determined by the Luddites to ‘‘ remove”’ Mr. Horsfall ‘‘ pour encourager les autres.” Three men, Geo. Mellor, Wm. Thorp, and Thos. Smith, were chosen by lot to execute the will of

Page 58

Glass and

Page 59

an open secret. Mr. Joseph Radcliffe, of Milnsbridge

Page 60

The Rew Actual time

Doncaster Record

from lowered five minutes Bradiey Huddersfield by R to Mr. J. T. Robinson oad


ona Racer. 1 hour 44 minutes.

That means travelling at the rate of 20 miles per hour.

This Record speaks for itself.

For finish, style, and ensy running, ride a New Bradley.



Cycle Maker, Prgent ano Repairer,

Station St. §

Page 61

merely factitious and rested on the high price of corn produced by the war, they prohibited, by an Act passedin 1815, the introduction of foreign corn till wheat had reached famine prices. Society, too, was disturbed by the great changes of employment consequent on a sudden return to peace after twenty years of war, and by the disbanding of the immense forces employed at sea and on land. The movement against machinery, which had been put down in 1812, revived in formidable riots.* On June 8th, 1817, hundreds of men assembled about midnight at Folly Hall in Huddersfield, and there awaited, in vain, reinforcements from other quarters. The Yeomanry were mustered and confronted the mob. A few shots were fired, a horse was actually wounded, and enough having been done for honour, the Yeomanry retired in some confusion, nor could their officers rally them. They were however, considerably rallied in later years, being usually dubbed the “ Noodles.” Three years later an attack of armed malcontents upon Huddersfield was concerted. A rendezvous was appointed at the Dumb Steeple, but tho’ hundreds of men assembled they, for some reason, dispersed, arranging another gathering for the following Wednesday at Grange Moor. It is believed that reinforcements were looked for from all quarters, and a general advance was to be made on London. The appearance, however, of the King’s troops from Hudders- field dispersed the poor hunger-maddened men. Over a score were arrested, tried and sentenced to death, but the supreme penalty was commuted to transportation for seven years. Another abortive essay upon settled industry was known as the Plug Riots. This occurred in 1842. A number of operatives from South Lancashire paraded the

* Green’s History of the English People. 55

Page 63

country drawing the plugs of the mill boilers. They passed through Huddersfield on August 13th, and, after drawing

From a DUMB STEEPLE. [by F. Collins. the plugs at the mills of Messrs. Starkey Brothers and Messrs. Armitage and Kaye, halted near St. Paul’s Church

E 57

Page 64

O. B.

One box,


Page 65

to deliberate on their further steps. The town was in great disorder, the miserable operatives ready for any remedy, however desperate, that offered the prospect of better wages and more food.

The Riot Act was read, the streets were

Page 67

cleared by a troop of the 17th Lancers, and happily the threatened storm passed over without the effusion of blood.

The passing of the Corn laws and the expansion of our commerce alleviated the lot of the working classes, and for many years after 1842 there was industrial plenty and industrial peace. When in 1883 the great strike of the weavers took place in Huddersfield and its environs, the artizans neither resorted to the breaking of machinery, the drawing of plugs, the pistolling of employers, nor marches upon London. By this time they had learned other methods and had wise and sober leaders. The strike lasted thirteen weeks, and thousands of men and women were without employment and without wage. Popular discontent found vent in a little harmless ‘‘

Page 68

Che Old Pork Emporium

Page 69

caused, in 1852, by the bursting of the Bilberry Reservoir at the head of the Holme Valley on the early morning of Feb- ruary 5th. The necessity for immense volumes of water power,


Page 70

S. 5. Bradley,

Practical Watchmaker, Silversmith, and Jeweller 24a, King St., Huddersfield.

Choice new stock in variety.

Rovelties—Rew Desians.

Soundest possible value for money.


Page 71

voir, says Canon Hulbert, is situated at the head of a narrow gorge or glen, leading from Holme Bridge to a high bluff of land called Good Bent, and supplied by two streams, draining the moors of Holme Moss on the one side, and hills running up to Saddleworth on the other. The con- fluence of the streams takes place between two large hills called Hoobrook Hill and Lumbank that run parallel to each other, and the valley then opens out and forms an extensive oval basin of not less than three hundred yards in diameter. The

Page 72




B. & B. are now Showing Newest Designs and Colorings for Season 1897, in

Axminster, Brussels, and Capesiry


Page 73

low. The stress of water dashed in eddies around the. graves. The sheltering earth was uptorn, and the stout: coffins with their silent charge floated on the descending stream. On the seats of one of the pews within the church was found, when the waters subsided, the coffined corpse of a full-grown man. The churchyard spoiled, the torrent headed for the village of Hinchliffe Mill. Here the alarm had been given. Men, women and children fled in haste to house tops, to such high ground as they could make. But the cruel avalanche was upon them with short shrift. Forty

Page 74


Page 75

incidents of its rapid stride onward and upward. In later years records more authentic, statistics more exact, make it possible to present a more studied and minuter picture.

[by F. Collins.


From a Photo.]

One perhaps realizes best how great, how swift that advance has been by trying to contrast the town we know so well


Page 76

Commemoration Near.

Page 77


to-day with the town as our fathers knew it, when our gracious Queen grasped the sceptre sixty years ago. The town proper centred in Old Street and Castlegate, regions

[by Sellman & Co.

Page 78


Page 79

ascent to Almondbury justified the old address on the letters,

Page 80




Page 81

designed asa Hall of Science by the followers of Robert Owen, ministered to the spiritual needs of the town. To these have since been added the Churches of St. John’s


Page 83

gational Chapel 1865, Brunswick Street Wesleyan 1859, New North Road Baptist 1878, Fitzwilliam Street Unitarian 1854, the Paddock Congregational and Wesleyan

[by F, Collins



From a

Page 84

J. Holroyd §

Page 85

Ramsden Street, in 1885. The oldest Noncon- formist place of worship in what is now the Borough was at Salendine Nook, where a Baptist Chapel was erected in 1739. The present structure was built in 1843, and even since then has been improved and enlarged at much cost. There are, says Mr. Balmforth, writing in 1895, some seventy dissenting places of worship in the Borough, with accommodation for about 30,000 persons. In 1757 John Wesley preached in Huddersfield, and the number of Wesleyan conventicles that sprung up in subsequent years testify to the extent of his inspiring influence. He seems indeed to have impressed the people more favourably than they impressed him. In his journal he says:

Page 86


Hairdresser, Perfumer, & Wig Maker, EALER IN

Combs, Brushes, Fancy Soaps,

Page 87

and supports all his doctrines by the teachings of the

Page 88

In Commemoration of Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee.


Wholesale & Retail Fruit Merchant, 24, 25, & 26, VICTORIA LANE, HUDDERSFIELD.

Begs to fannounce 'to the Gentry and Public of Huddersfield and District, that he is prepared to supply: Choice DESSERT FRUITS, both English and Foréign, at lowest prices; fresh consignments daily of STRAWBERRIES, CHERRIES, APRICOTS, PEACHES, PINE APPLES, BANANAS, MELONS, and NUTS of all kinds.


Special terms on application for Bazaars, Schools, & Parties, Large stock of Tasmanian, American and English APPLES; single Barrels at wholesale prices. VEGETABLES, ASPARAGUS, SHAKALE, KIDNEY BEANS, &c. Also SALADS, viz.: Endive, Lettuce,Cucumber, Radishes, Beetroot, &c.,freshdaily. Finest English TOMATOES always on hand, Home grown MUSHROOMS cut daily.

The Noted Stewart’s FAMILY BAG of POTATOES, 56 lbs. for 2/6. I ARE ALWAYS TO BE RELIED ON. TELEPHONE No. 253. Our own Van delivers free to all parts of the town.


Page 89

incumbents the familiar name of Crosland occurs twice. One, Georgius Crosland, was vicar in 1598, and it is probable that he and his brother John, who succeeded him,

[by John Ed. Shaw



From a Photo I

were scions of the ancients family of Crosland, of Crosland Hill. George is described as

Page 90

Messrs, Hartley & Tee




Are now offering to the Public PRIME

Beer, * MUTTON, Lamb, Pork,

Page 91

doctus, studiosus et in concionibus freguens, in Sacris Scripturis et Catholicis Patribus exercitissimus.’ Some of the extracts from the Church Register made by Canon Hulbert throw a curious side light upon the condition of the country and people in the sadly misnamed good old days. I cull one or two of them:

Page 93

7615.—In this year so great a fall of snow as was not known in the memory of any living: far exceeding that in 1540 in magnitude and duration; in which many travellers as well as inhabitants at Saddle- worth

Page 94


William - Golden,

Page 95

The Vicar of Huddersfield pays an annual pension to the mother Church of Dewsbury. The first Vicar of Huddersfield presented by the Priory of Nostel was Robert de Ponteburgh in 1316. The advowson passed to the Ramsden family in the sixteenth century, and tho’ the presentation to the living has been in the same family for more than three hundred years, it is proper to observe that


VICAR OF HUDDERSFIELD. Chairman of the Public Rejoicings Committee. From a Photo.] [by Sellman & Co.

G 89

Page 96

Mr. E. As LODGE, of the Lion Arcade.

Mr. Lodge early showed a decided taste for music, his favourite Instrument being the guitar which he has played for 15 years, and now

Page 97

only two incumbents of that name figure in the long list of vicars. The living is valued at £450 yearly, with residence.

The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a Gothic stone structure, with a tower, containing a clock and ten bells; it was rebuilt in 1836, at a cost of nearly £10,000. Many of the windows are enriched by stained glass presentments of sacred scenes, framed by the loving reverence of the living to the memory of the dead. There is also a monu- ment to the Rev. Hy. Venn, who was vicar from 1759 to 1771, and of whom it may be said, if of anyone, that had all priests resembled him there would have been no Dissent. Can eulogy further go! The other monuments in the Church are not of much interest if we except, perhaps, the one with the following superscription :— ‘¢Here resteth the Bodie of Thomas Brook the elder, of New House, Gentleman, who was buried November 17. A° Dni. 1638. In the Church Myllitant I fout so unshaken that to the Church tryumphant I am taken. I am one o’th Church still. Greve not friends to know me advanced higher.

Page 98

Huddersfield Subscription Concerts.

SEASON 1897-8. : In the Town Hall, Huddersfield.

1897. I. Sept. 28th—The course will be opened by Mr. George Grossmith, with an entirely new series of humorous and musical sketches. II, Oct.

Page 99

eighth part of a penny could not be deemed legal tender, and that therefore the amendment must be deemed a subterfuge,” which I daresay it was. None the less it was carried, and

BYRAM BUILDINGS, KIRKGATE. From a Photo.] (oy F. Collins.

since that day no church rate has been levied in Hud} dersfield.


Page 100

Seth Senior & Son's


Files «xd Stouts

For Family use, in Casks of Six Gallons & upwards. ALSO IN BOTTLES, Light Bitter,

Page 101

The educational needs of the town appear to have been largely met in the early decades of the century by. the exertions of the Church. There were the National Schools at Almondbury, Seedhill, and elsewhere; the Sunday Schools in which reading

Page 102



Page 103

requesting of any neighbouring gentleman or ‘person of quality.’” The school is now conducted under a scheme approved by the Charity Commissioners.

[by F. Collins,

Page 104

Whitfields’ Johnson § Co.


New Premises——Opposite Town Hall—-Now Open.

Specially designed for our trade in all its Branches.

Page 105

and gentlemen, girls and boys in short, notably those of Mr. Dearden and Mr. Thomas, and by the Huddersfield College and Huddersfield Collegiate. The Collegiate School was supposed to be more specially the school of the Church and Church people. It was pleasantly situate at Clare Hill, had a not very distinguished career, and is now, I believe, a dancing academy. The Huddersfield College, established in 1838, though avowedly unsectarian, was more especially affected by the sons of Dissenting parents. ‘The directors were usually Nonconformists, and hence, I dare say, the character and tone ofthe school. Mr. Willans, Mr. Wright Mellor, and Mr. William Mallinson, and Dr. Bruce were zealous in fostering the school. During the head-master- ship of the late Samuel Sharpe, LL.B., the school took rank as one of the leading colleges of the county, often in the Cambridge Local Examinations and the Matriculation Lists of London University, with which it was disputing the palm with institutions of riper years, ampler endowments, and greater numbers. Not a few of the leading citizens of the present day must look back upon the college with feelings of mingled pride and gratitude. Mr.. Alfred Illingworth, formerly M.P. for Bradford, Dr. Willis,

Page 106

Why Pay Why» Pav More?


By a Practical Workman, at Trade Price.

Watches Cleaned, 7/-; Main Spring, 7/-; Hair Spring and Timed,

Page 107

schools, were, however, drawn almost exclusively from the middle classes of the people. Down to a comparatively recent period the provision for the education of the children of the working classes was of the most meagre. Before a

Sir JOSEPH CROSLAND, Kt., Chairman of the Huddersfield Banking Company. select committee of the House of Commons, sitting in 1832, two Huddersfield witnesses gave evidence on this subject. Abram Whitehead said: ‘‘ There is not any possibility of children employed in the mills obtaining any instruction


Page 108


Page 109

from day schools; but since this factory bill was agitated, when I have been at mills the children have gathered round me for a minute or

Page 110


Sanitary Plumber,






Incandescent Gas Light


Suspense and other Special Fittings

for Incandescent Gas Lighting.

Baths, Ltavatories, and General Sanitary Appliances.


Page 111

instruction,” taught a mixed School for boys and girls on Sundays, first in his own shop in Denton lane, afterwards in a room in the Rose and Crown Yard. An old scholar of the latter seminary informed Dr. Bruce that the Teacher sat in

The Rev. W. H. VERITY,

Hon. Sec. of the Public Rejoicings Committee. From a [oy J. E. Shaw. his chair with hazel stick in hand or by his side, as the sym- bol of his authority, and the instrument of his discipline. The children read in the Old and New Testament, verse by verse, and chapter after chapter, without a single note or

H * 105

Page 112


WOOD & SONS Broadwood Pianos WOOD & SONS Collard Pianos. WOOD & SONS Brinsmead Pianos

WOOD & SONS Chappell Pianos

And other noted English Makers, from 18 to 110 Guineas. WOOD

SONS Bechstein Pianos WOOD & SONS Rosenkranz Pianos WOOD

SONS Steinweg Pianos (GROTRIAN)

SONS Kuhse Pianos SONS Neumeyer Pianos SONS Pleyel Pianos SONS Hardt Pianos WOOD & SONS Kaps Pianos WOOD & SONS Krauss Pianos And other noted Foreign Makers.


WOOD & SONS Resonator Pianos WOOD & SONS Academy Pianos WOOD & SONS Organs and Harmoniums

One of the finest and most extensive Stocks in the Country. High-class Goods only. Most reasonable prices for Cash or easy terms of payment.


Page 113

comment, religious questions or appeal, the object, at that time, being mainly to teach reading and spelling. Besides this they occasionally repeated the Church Catechism, and a few simple Collects. The scholars were generally divided into two parts and whilst one was standing up to read and spell in a circle round the enthroned teacher with his hazel sceptre, the other was sitting behind, committing to memory their Catechism or Hymn. The children were generally taken to the Parish Church and sat on the old narrow benches in the

Page 114


Page 115

from the fact that when the Salendine Nook Chapel was founded in 1743,

Page 116

Support Home Industries !

Page 117

From the little compendium of Dr. Bruce it appears

that in the centenary year there were in the Borough 55

Page 118


® +

Hold about 12 inches away, now close the left eye

and look steadily at the round spot (the cross will also be seen) then draw gradually closer to the eyes when the cross will disappear and on bringing still nearer will re-appear.

The round spot must be looked at steadily all the time.


Page 119

I have been favoured by the Rev. W. H. Verity, with the subjoined Scholar Statement of Sunday Schools connected with the established Church.

Church of England Sunday Schools.


Parish Church

Page 120

Cash Stores, 20, Beast Market,





Unsurpassed in the Trade.

Finest KIEL BUTTER fresh weekly.


Page 121

girls at Outcote Bank, the Huddersfield Church Ragged Schools in Queen Street, the Independent School in Clara Street, Fartown, St. Andrew’s Lane School (girls and


Page 122



(Two doors below Theatre Royal).


Page 123

Hill, St. Peter’s Infant’s in Northgate, St. Paul’s National and Infants’ in Princess Street, St. Thomas’ National in Manchester Road, Trinity National in Portland Street, the Wesleyan in Queen Street, and the Ragged and Industrial in Fitzwilliam Street. The blue book for 1843 gives the total number of scholars at all the schools in the borough, including the higher academies, at 4,023, whilst the blue book for 1864 gives the total attendance at Elementary

Page 124


Page 126


Advanced privately, at a few hours’ notice.

Page 127

opened, having been erected at a cost of £20,000. The subscription list nobly headed by Sir Joseph Crosland with a gift of Five Thousand Guineas and containing the names of not only the Lord of the Manor but the leading firms of the district and augmented munificently by the Worshipful Company of Cloth Workers is evidence enough, not only of generous spirit of the wealthier residents of the town, but also of their keen appreciation of the necessity and utility of higher education. The subjects of instruction are varied and arduous. There are Textile, Dyeing, Chemistry, Engineering, Physical, Technical, Biological Departments ; classes for Mathematics and Physiography, for Languages and Literature, Commercial classes and classes for Wood- work, Dressmaking and Needlework. Since the opening of the college many distinctions have been gained by its scholars at the London Matriculation, Inter-Art and Science Examinations; atthe Science and Art Examinations of South Kensington, and the City and Guilds of London Institute. From the college calendar, 1896-7, it appears there are now 1,100 students, and 3,830 class attendances. Alderman J. Fligg Brigg is the president, and Mr. Thos. Thorp, whom I have to thank for assistance in more than one way in writing this narrative, the secretary of the governors, and Mr. S. G. Rawson, D. Sc., the principal of the teaching staff. The extensions now being carried out will about double the present area of the College devoted to trading, and will comprise large and thoroughly equipped laboratories in Chemistry, Physics, and Engineering. The Art Department will be nearly doubled in areaand ample provision is made for a Museum and Patent Gallery.

The keen appreciation by the industrial classes of secular education manifested itself almost immediately after their

K 121

Page 128


Page 129

polititical enfranchisement in a demand for a national system of education. In all the history of the nation I know of nothing so significant and so touching as this great fact.

[by John Ed. Shaw & Son.


From a Photo.

Almost the first, if not the first use, made by the toiling millions of this country was to demand not the

Page 130



Blankets, all prices. Calicoes, from 14d. Sheets, from 1/11 a pair. Shirtings, from 44d. Quilts, from 2/11 each. Towels, from 24d. Flannels, all prices. Toilet Covers, from 64d. Flannelettes, all prices. Lace Curtains, from 114d. per pr.

Every description of Plain and Fancy Winpow Ho

Page 131

circenses of the Roman populace, but that education for their children which had been denied themselves. Robert Lowe, always cynical, had said: ‘‘ We must educate our masters.” But the truth is the people were bent on educating them-

Alderman J. F. BRIGG, J.P., President of the Technical College

From a

Page 132


Page 133

At each recurring contest there has been hitherto acrimonious rivalry between what are called the Church and the Unsecta- rian parties in the Borough for numerical supremacy on the Board. Hitherto there has been an unsectarian majority.

Dr. RAWSON, Principal of the Technical College.

From a

Page 134



Page 135

Number of Boarp ScHooLs, together with the number of Scholars on the Register of each school, and the average attendance :—

Page 136

Huddersfield Establishment



Permanent Benefit Building Society

This Society has now large amounts of money for Investments, and the Directors are prepared to make Advances to any extent on good securities at 3} per cent., either at simple interest, or on reducible terms as per tables.

Property Tax is paid by the Society.

Deposits are received at any time and from any person in small or large amounts at 3 per cent.

Investing Shares may be taken up at any time. Prospectuses free on application to HENRY KILNER, Resident Secretary, 8, Market Place, New Street, Huddersfield.

Page 137

In the year 1894 the Huddersfield College was purchased by the School Board and opened in June of that year as a Higher Grade School under the Board, with a numerical

accommodation of 532.

Rev. ROBERT BRUCE, D.D., Chairman of the Huddersfield School Board.

From a Photo.] [by Sellman & Co.

From the Inspector’s Report of the year 1895-6 we learn that there are now 40 departments under the control


Page 138



Page 139

of the Board, viz.: Boys’8;

Page 140


Page 141

teaching staff consists of the Principal, a Senior Mistress, a Lecturer on Chemistry, a Lecturer on Physics, and eight Class Teachers, of whom five are employed in the science section, and three in the elementary section. There are four Scholarships in connection with the Board Schools, three founded by Mr. James E. Willans, J.P., formerly Chairman of the Board; and one by the Huddersfield Industrial Society. The reports of the Inspectors on the work of the schools are in the main very satisfactory, and show that the children have not failed to avail themselves of the great facilities they now enjoy for mental culture. Libraries have been formed at many of the schools, and School Banks, the accounts of which show that during the year ending December 31, 1895, 3,025 little capitalists had deposited £2,270 12s. 6d. The Financial Statement of the Board School for the year ending March 25, 1897, shows an income made up thus :—

Page 142

Pearee &

Page 143

the Number of DENOMINATIONAL SCHOOLS, together with the number of Scholars on the Register of each school, and

the average attendance :—

Name of School. Department.

Page 144



Sweets «

Page 145

I have dwelt, I hope not with undue proportion of space,

upon the educational progress of the town. The commence-

ment of the Queen’s reign saw knowledge the prerogative of

the rich: it is now the birthright of the poor. The vaunt of


Page 146

Hoot & Shoe Making.

= Many and varied are the improvements witnessed in Boots and Shoes

during the Reign of Our Queen, from the Low Court Shoe, to the Stylish and Neat Fitting Boots of the present.

Gentlemen who thoroughly appreciate Well-made and Stylish Boots and Shoes, will do well to call at


Page 147

hard of access, but will leave it cheap and within the reach of the humblest in our land.

Page 148


The most marvellous cure for Convulsions, Acidity, Flatulency, Restlessness, Griping Pains, and all other distressing complaints incidental to Infants, is

BUCKLE Y’S Infants’ Preservative

It allays pain, gives almost instant relief, and renders the crisis of Teething easy and painless.

Wid. and i/- PER BOTTLE.


H. BUCKLEY, Chemist,


Page 149

new wing was added, increasing the accommodation to sixty beds. Thecost of this, too, was contributed by the voluntary efforts of the people. In 1874 a new wing was added ata

THE INFIRMARY. [by F, Collins

From a

Page 150



Garden Tools, /

Page 151

swelling population, and for some years past the Governors of the Infirmary, of whom Mr, William Mallinson has since 1885 been Chairman and Mr. Joseph Bate since 1879 the indefatigable Secretary, and Mr. Frederick Eastwood,

WM. MALLINSON, Esq., J-P., President of the Infirmary Board.

From a Photo.] [by H, Kruger.

“Hon. Sec. since 1876, have been urgent in their appeals to the public charity. A grievous lack of the necessary funds to carry out, in their entirety, the plans of the Governors


Page 152

Sromas D

Page 153

has, in happy commemoration of this joyous Jubilee, and in graceful following of the way pointed by Royal hands, been met by the noble bounty of Mr. E. H. Carlile, whose munificent donation of £8,000 has solved many difficulties


Secretary to the Infirmary

Page 155

so picturesque and so healthful as to be called the Happy Valley, fanned by the life-laden breezes from the encircling moors, was erected at Meltham by the late Charles Brook, at a cost of £40,000, and allied with the Huddersfield Infirmary—another of the many instances of the public beneficence of the Brook family.

To the Infirmary and the Convalescent Home must be added the Fever Hospital and the Small Pox Hospital at Mill

Page 156


Page 157

Union was formed in 1837, and embraces a much larger area than the actual Borough. The actual expenditure of the Union for the year ending March 25th, 1897, was £39,570, inclusive of the sum of £9,181 17s. 3d., paid to the


Page 158

Telephone 419.



Photographic -.-

Page 159

In-Maintenance and Out-Relief, Loans, and Salaries, of £29,474. In the year ending March 25th, 1897, 2,257 persons received relief, and the total expenditure on all accounts was £30,388. It must afford a theme of

E. A. RIGBY, Esq., Clerk, to the Board of Guardians. From a

Page 160


A Sparkling Effervescing Drink. Is a scientific Preparation. Is a Mild Aperient.

Relieves Headache.

Purifies the Biood.

Page 161

thousand. The Board of Guardians of this Union covers a period almost identic with Her Majesty’s Reign. The introduction of the ‘‘ New Poor Laws,” we are informed by the Guardians’ last Report, was very much opposed in Huddersfield and neighbouring boroughs, and several abortive meetings were held before the Guardians would take any steps towards the establishment of the Union in this district. Ultimately on January 29, 1838, a Clerk was elected, and steps were taken to bring the Poor Law Act and the Registration Acts into operation. The first birth was registered in Huddersfield, on April 21st, 1838. Mr. Cookson Stephenson Floyd was the first Clerk to the Union.. The present Clerk, Mr. E. A. Rigby, was appointed. November 9, 1896. The population of the Union in 1837 was 88,792; in 1896 it was 168,399. The Board has succeeded in retaining in the Chair at least three gentlemen for exceptionally long periods of honourable and useful service, Mr. Matthew Sykes filling that arduous post for twelve consecutive years, Mr. James Wrigley for eighteen, and the late Chairman, Mr. James Kilburn, for thirteen years, after an apprenticeship in the Vice-Chair of eleven years.

Whilst on this subject of the Poor, one may, not unfittingly, allude to the Model Lodging House in Chapel - Hill, constructed by the Town Commissioners in 1864, at a cost of about £6,000, and which for many years was the only Lodging House in England conducted by the govern- ing body of its town. I believe that the Common Lodging. House, which now affords accommodation for about 200 people, is regarded by the nomad elements of the population with considerable approval. The large establishments in London, Rowton House and others, which have been


Page 162

“Dear Sally, I suppose George ts to be married in July. Well, don’t forget to tell him to order his Coals from those people who have offices at No. 3, Queen Street, and Hill- house Depot. The name is Tennant—something. If they want Coal that would answer well for all purposes, \ him to order a load of

Page 163

erected in recent years, and have done so much to alleviate the lot of the very poor who are striving to keep out of the workhouse, are merely enlarged copies of the Huddersfield Lodging House, which has amply justified the title

DR. ANNIS, Medical Officer of Health. From a Photo.} [by Sellman & Co. Model.” The provisions ensuring cleanliness, decency, and comfort, render the house a striking contrast to the more expensive but noisome dens of Blackfriars and other London centres of cheap shelters for the unhoused poor.


Page 164



Page 165

It has ever been the custom of those historians whose eyes have been fixed rather on the gradual processes of social evolution, on the glad emergence of the general

Shaw & Son,


From a Photo.]

masses of the people from serfdom, squalor, and ignorance to freedom, comfort, and knowledge, rather than on the


Page 166


Page 167

scandal of courts, the intrigues of senates, and the strife and din of battle, to dwell with complacency upon the slow but sure development in our midst of local self-government. The citizens of this land have learned in guild, in town-


Chairman of the Board of Guardians.

mote, and

Page 168


Page 169

power to hold acourt and preside over it is an appanage of feudal lordship, and such a court has, from time immemorial, attached to the Manor of Huddersfield, and was confirmed by the Crown to the Ramsden family as 3 Lords of the Manor, in the seventeenth century. With the Court Leet rested the appointment of chief-constable of the town, and he claimed to be its official head. As years passed an infringement upon the prerogatives of the Court might have been resented in the appointment by the inhabitants in vestry of an assistant standing constable. This was done in 1812. Again in 1816 we find the follow- ing formidable minute in the records of the vestry :

Page 170

R =e!


Page 171

It is not stated whether or no, as in some ancient boroughs, the constable had also to discharge the functions of ale tester or taster, but it may be presumed the constable put a liberal construction upon his powers.


Page 173

vermin from the rivers and streams. These officers, with - the assistant constables appointed by the Vestry and possibly a Vestry and Court Leet clerk, constituted the executive of the town. From an anecdote preserved by

Miss SIDDON, The First Lady Guardian in the Huddersfield Poor Law Union.

the late Mr. W. R. Croft and quoted by Mr. Balmforth, it would seem that the Chief Constable had acquired the saving grace of tempering his zeal by discretion, for when roused from his slumbers by intelligence of the riots that


Page 174

Jelfer & Co.,

Wholesale and Retail Drapers,


65, King Street

Page 175

so oft in those boisterous days disturbed the midnight peace, it was his prudent custom to dally in his chamber for such time as he deemed sufficient to exhaust the strength and cool the ardour of the combatants, before he ventured to interpose that awful symbol of his authority, the constable’s staff. A little blood-letting, he deemed, was an excellent febrifuge. In 1820 the “‘Lighting and Watching” Act was

Page 176




MANTLE MAKER Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield.

Page 177

was made to obtain a Charter of Incorporation. A petition was framed and very numerously signed, and supported by a deputation to the Privy Council. The petition was

[by J. E. Shaw & Son.


From a Photo.]

countenanced by Earl Fitzwilliam and Earl Zetland, the trustees of Sir John Ramsden, who was then a Minor, but


Page 179

a change of Government necessitated the abandonment of the petition. In 1848, however, the attempt to secure more extensive power of local government was renewed with success, and the Huddersfield Improvement Act, 1848, incorporating the Town’s Improvement Clauses Act, 1847, the Commissioners’ Clauses Act, 1847, and the Town Police Clauses Act, 1847, was passed, and under it was constituted the Board of Improvement Commissioners, which from that date to the grant of the Charter of Incorporation, constituted the administrative body of the town. The Board consisted of 21 members, of whom the Lord of the Manor had the right to appoint three. The other 18 Commissioners were elected by the Ratepayers annually, six retiring each year by rotation. Every Commissioner must have an annual rating qualifica- tion of £30, or be possessed of £1,000 personalty after discharge of his debts. The franchise under this Act was nominally vested in the Ratepayer at large, but, inasmuch as under the Towns’ Improvement Acts, all owners of rateable property of which the full nett annual value did not exceed £10, or which were let to monthly or weekly tenants, or in apartments, were to be rated to the rates instead of the occupiers, it was found in practise that the franchise was confined to the wealthier residents, the professional classes, the mill owners, merchants, publicans, and shopkeepers. The working classes were virtually disfranchised, being shorn even of the powers which the democratic constitution of the ancient vestry confided to them. The rating qualification, moreover, was cumulative, conferring on those rated under £50 one vote, and rising

by an ascending scale until those rated under £250 enjoyed no less than six. The modern doctrine of one man one vote was then probably discussed only in Utopia.


Page 180





Men’s Bespoke Suits from 25/-. Marvellous Value. Good Fit Guaranteed.

A Large and Choice Stock of READY-MADES to

select from, at low prices.

Remember that J. BRIGGS is unsurpassed for Good Quality at Low Prices.


Page 181

In the area included in the present County Borough there were prior to its incorporation no less than eleven governing bodies :—The

Page 183

circumstances to secure that harmony and unity of action on subjects of common importance which the public welfare required.”

[by F. Collins.


From a

Page 184

LEWIS I. SYKES, Ladies’ & Gents’ Hosier

And GLOVER, 3, King Street, Huddersfield.


Page 185

comprehensive scheme of water supply, intricacies of drainage and road construction and maintenance, and other inconve- niences inseparable from the jaxtaposition of so many petty powers in close contiguity and ruling what was more and more becoming one community lent gathering strength to the feeling that only a charter of incorporation would set free the growing town from its confining swaddling clothes. Definitive proceedings originated with the Improvement Commissioners in March, 1867, public meetings and private

conferences ensued, and ultimately petitions for and against the proposed scheme of incorporation were signed by the ratepayers in the affected districts. The following summary of the petitions will probably be of interest as showing in what light the proposal for incorporation was viewed thirty years ago and what were the apprehensions, ill or well grounded, of those who resisted it.

Signatures. Rateable Value. &

Page 186

County Oyster & Lunch Bar,

19, Westgate, Huddersfield.

English and Dutch Natives, Saddle Rocks, Blue Points, and East Rivers,


Try our Special Blue Points,

Page 187

Ultimately, however, all the petitions against, with the exception of that of Bradley and Deighton, were withdrawn. The opposition of that district originated, it was stated, ‘‘with Messrs. Haigh, who were the leading ratepayers of the hamlet. They were owners and occupiers of extensive mills, and as employers of labour and otherwise, they had great influence and control over the other ratepayers, who were chiefly the operatives employed by them, or small farmers, or shopkeepers, dependent upon or connected with them. They, in substance, ruled and governed the district, and they probably apprehended an extinction of their personal rule, as well as some possible increase in their

Page 188

Best Materials only used. Freely guaranteed. Any rider of these mounts will give you a testimonial. 12 Guineas nett.

Equal to any 20 guinea machine in the market

Siddle’s Cycles are the most popular mounts in Huddersfield.

SIDDLE’S Cycle Works, Chapel Hill.

SIDDLE is the only practical Cycle Engineer in Huddersfield, having had over 20 years’ experience in Cycle construction.


Page 189

included in the Borough, increasing the acreage to 11,788. rateable value for the year 1896-7 is £435,342, 12s. od., having more than doubled itself in the thirty years of incorporation, and the number of burgesses on the roll is 18,657 exclusive of duplicate voters.

F. C. LLOYD, Esq., Town Clerk. From a Photo.] [by Sellman & Co.

The supply of pure, wholesome, and abundant water to the new borough was the first concern of the maiden Council. The parent waterworks, if they may be so dignified, were


Page 190


Che People’s Photographer,

Has always stood at top of the list for quality and bottom for price, and will continue to turn out best possible work at following marvellously low rates :—


Page 191

constructed by the Lord of the Manor in 1743. According to ‘An Old Resident,” the source of our water supply was the river at Folly Hall or Engine Bridge. Ina cottage near to Mr. Eastwood’s dyeworks was erected a forcing-engine


Page 192


Page 193

top of Outcote Bank, along the Upper Road, and so toa small reservoir near the bottom of George Street. The pumping engine was so feeble that the comparatively slight elevation of Chapel Hill taxed its powers to the utmost and the pipes so contracted that on one occasion, it is vouched by the Resident,” a stray trout which had been sucked into the main cut off, for a time, the water supply of the whole town.

But if the presence of the trout led to mechanical difficulties it had at least the merits of attesting the purity of the water from which the supply was drawn. Shallow the basket and long the patience of him need be who would angle to-day for trout in the Colne, within many a long line-cast of Hudders- field. In 1827 the Waterworks Commissioners were consti- tuted by Act of Parliament, and under that Act and an enlarging statute of 1828, the town was supplied with water up to the period of incorporation. The water was

Page 194


Page 196


Friend Thewlis


Page 197

also supplied with water from the same, and acts as

Page 198


Page 199

the township of Linthwaite, to the village of Milnsbridge, where it crosses under the bed of the River Colne, and thence under the Viaduct of the London and North Western Railway at Longwood Station, near which there

Alderman CHAS. GLENDINNING, From a Photo.| Deputy Mayor [by Sellman & Co. is a connection with the Longwood Reservior main, where- by water can be sent into that reservoir to supplement its own supplies as required. The main then passes on to Paddock, and thence across the fields to Marsh, and along


Page 201

New Hey Road into the Snodley Service Reservoir at West Hill, which is situated at a height of 500 feet above sea level, and is constructed to hold 1,250,000 gallons. From this Service Reservoir water is distributed through the town, and is also taken forward along the Leeds Road for the supply of Mirfield and Ravensthorpe.

The main from the South entrance tunnel at Black- moorfoot conveys the water to the villages of Netherton, Armitage Bridge, Berry Brow, Honley, Almondbury, Kirkheaton, Lepton, Kirkburton, Shelley, and Shepley, and also to a portion of Huddersfield.

The Deerhill Reservoir is situate in Lingards Town- ship, on the slope of the West side of the hill from which it derives its name. Its top water level is 1,144 feet above sea level. It contains 160 million gallons of water, covers 38 acres, and has a drainage area of 800 acres. The water is conveyed in the reservoir by means of a Catchwater Conduit 2$ miles long, in Marsden Township. Compensa- tion to the millowners in the Wessenden and Colne Valleys is delivered from this reservoir at various points, amounting in the aggregate to 481,680 gallons every working day. There is also a connection from this reservoir with the Wessenden main, which supplies the high levels, so as to supplement that supply as occasion requires.

The Wessenden Springs are situated on the West side of the Wessenden Reservoir, consisting of the Great Dyke Springs, the Blake Clough and Blakeley Clough Springs which are piped into a tank situate at an elevation of 1,025 feet above sea level, from which the water is conveyed by a g-inch main laid down the Valley to Marsden, and thence passing along the Manchester and Huddersfield Turnpike Road to Slaithwaite, where there is a connection with the


Page 202


Page 203

Deerhill main. From thence the main that supplies Golcar branches off up the Crimble Valley to the Service Reservoir

Page 204

One of the Oldest Druggists’ Businesses im Huddersfield is that of

Page 205

The surplus water after supplying the g-inch main above referred to, passes into an 18-inch main laid across the valley to the Catchwater Conduit at Scout, and thence along such Conduit into the Blackmoorfoot Reservoir. This main was laid in the year 1887. There are two Compensation Reservoirs in the Wessenden Valley. The old Wessenden Reservoir situate at an elevation of 984 feet above sea level,. and of a capacity of 107 million gallons. The new Wessenden Head Reservoir is situate at an elevation of. 1,268 feet above sea level, with a capacity of 82 million gallons. The Butterley Reservoir, now in course of construc- tion and authorised by the Act of 1890, will be formed by an embankment placed upon the side of Upper Bank Bottom Mills at the lower end of the Wessenden Valley, the top of which is 111 feet above the bed of the stream. The capacity will be 400 million gallons, surface area 43 acres, the greatest depth of water 98 feet 6 inches. As soon as this reservoir is completed, the two high level reservoirs situate higher up the valley will be utilised for domestic supply, and compensation water will be turned out of the Butterley Reservoir in respect of the whole of the Wessenden Valley, namely, 2,258,640 gallons per working day. The whole of the supply is by gravitation, and the drainage area of the reservoir is chiefly moorland, or high mountain pasture, and millstone grit formation, which is the best known natural filter. The total area of the limits of supply is 51,824 acres.

The existing reservoirs have a total storage capacity of 1,159 million gallons, to which must be added the


Page 206




Page 207

capacity of 40 million gallons of the one in process of con- struction. The total capital expenditure on waterworks account has considerably exceeded one million pounds sterling.

G. W. TOMLINSON, Eszq., Originator of the Castle Hill Tower Scheme.

Moorland waters, percolating through peaty soil, are what is popularly termed “soft,” that is, they have an exceptionally rapid solvent power. This quality, possessed by the Huddersfield waters in common with others in

P 201

Page 209

different parts of the country derived from similar water- sheds, whilst grateful to the dyer who seeks purity and brilliancy of colour, to the miller who dreads askness in the fleece, to the housewife concerned about her wash-tub and


Page 210

The old original shop FOR

Home-Fed Hams & Bacon


Cheshire & Rew Zealand

Page 211

usually conveyed from the street mains to the house tap. Lead is a cumulative poison, and some years ago several cases of severe attacks of lead poisoning among the inhabi- tants drew painful attention to this undesirable feature. An attempt was made to fix pecuniary liability on the Corporation, but on final appeal to the House of Lords it was held that the liability of the Corporation terminated with the delivery of the water into the street mains. The Council, however, rightly felt that so momentous a matter called for their most strenuous care. The danger has been guarded against by filtration and chemical treatment, and under the guidance of the eminent chemist, Professor Dewar, it is believed the trustees of the public health have at length secured the immunity of the people from a painful and deadly peril. I

Down to 1822 the streets of Huddersfield were lighted by oil lamps, and long after that date the residents dispelled the shades of night only by the flickering flame of ill-made or costly candles or the dangerous portable lamp. In that year a private company established gasworks in Leeds Road, and their mains were gradually extended till they supplied not only the ancient town but several of the hamlets on the outskirts. The works were so small that the site they occupied was but 843 square yards in extent, and the quantity of gas demanded by the consumers was inconsiderable. The new illumining power, however, grew rapidly in public favour. The works were extended, and in 1849 the yearly production of the Leeds Road Company rose to 33,000,000 cubic feet, and in 1866 it was estimated at 140,000,000. Besides the Company in Leeds Road, Mr. Anthony Kaye, of Moldgreen, and Mr. Thomas Midgley, of Almondbury, were engaged in the manufacture and supply


Page 212


Page 213

of gas to the area surrounding their respective works. The works of all these undertakings were soon acquired by the Corporation, those in Leeds Road in 1872, at a cost for

HOUSE AT BAY HALL. [by F. Collins.

From a Photo]

plant, mains, and good-will of £130,336, and those of Mr. Kaye in 1874, for £17,000. It must be borne in mind that


Page 214




Page 215

the area now supplied by the Corporation has been consider- ably enlarged, but allowance made for this, the increase in consumption is still very impressive. The Council now manufactures and supplies some 580 millions cubic feet of gas yearly. The price charged to the consumer enables the Gas Department to make each year a considerable annual profit, and this is applied in the reduction of the general burdens of the municipality.

In 1893 the system of Electric lighting was introduced by the Corporation, and the pale cold light now illumines the Town Hall and other public buildings, parts of some of the leading streets, the Market Hall, most of the places of worship and the leading shops.

The first Market established within the confines of the present County Borough was established in 1272, when Edward I. granted to Henry Lacy the privilege of a Market, to be holden at Almondbury on the Monday in every week. As it was not till four hundred years that a Market was granted to John Ramsden at Huddersfield, the reader may draw such conclusions as he deems just as to the relative importance in ancient days of Almondbury and the town which has now annexed it. But the claims of antiquity yield to the dictates of convenience, and the Market at Huddersfield soon threw its other rival into the shade, and the Almondbury Mart has for centuries existed only on parchment. About the year 1857 the Huddersfield Improvement Commissioners took a lease from Sir John Wm. Ramsden of the markets tolls and rights which he held under charter from the Crown, and under that lease con- trolled and regulated the public markets and fairs in the town. In 1876 the Corporation purchased from Sir John Ramsden all the markets rights and tolls, paying therefor,


Page 216


Wewsagent, Stationer, &c.,



Albums, Purses, Photo Frames, &c:


Containing the Latest Works by the Leading Authors. Orders for Periodicals, Magazines, and Morning Papers promptly attended to and delivered early and regularly. I

Sole Agent for Frister & Rossmann's Sewing Machines.

The allimportant question of to-day is, how can I save? Where shall

Page 217

and for the sites of markets,

Page 218


Sales are increasing, business growing, premises are being enlarged. WHY?

To meet the demand for the Genuine production of

Messrs. BLETGHERS’ Preserves and x


Page 219

at a cost, inclusive of the site, of £14,700; slaughter-houses at a cost of £15,000; and a Cattle Market in Great Northern Street, at a cost of £11,700. It one may judge from the dense throngs that crowd, to inconvenience, the markets on Saturday nights, when visitors from the adjacent villages flock to town, sight-seeing and purchasing, the purse of the Council must before long be again opened for market extensions.

Just as the Governing Body of Huddersfield was for many years the only one in England having the Model Lodging - House under its own control, so was the Huddersfield Council the first to undertake the laying down of the Tramway and the management of the service. The first lines were laid from Fartown to Lockwood, and were opened in January 1882, and since that date the arms and branches of the service. have spread themselves over every portion of the Borough. The steep gradients that are to be found on most of the routes have taxed the ingenuity of our engineers, and the introduction of steam locomotion into the streets has not been unaccompanied by serious disaster. In July, 1883, the tram-car descending from Lindley into the heart of the town broke loose from the control of the driver, owing to the snapping or curvature of a part of the internal mechanism of the engine. The brake refused its functions, and the engine and car rushed down the incline towards the Square with ever-increasing velocity, and in taking the curve towards their destination turned over on their near wheels and fell upon their sides. Seven passengers were killed and twenty- eight more or less seriously injured. Compensation was paid by the Corporation to the sufferers by this untoward calamity.


Page 220

COOKE’S PATENT LUBRICATING COMPOUND. - For removing and preventing scale and corrosion in every description of Boilers, which, with constant use, dispenses with the use of chipping hammers.

Page 221

The tram-cars are furnished with a letter box under the control of the Post Office, a useful and original device


Page 222


Page 223

It is probable that the Huddersfield Council Chamber has never, since the Charter was granted in 1868, seen upon the green seats of the Aldermen and Councillors more than one, or at the outside two gentlemen professing Social- istic principles. This fact notwithstanding, the Council has from the first acted upon the main lines of a well- considered,

Page 224

Established 1888.

QUALITY! STYLE!! CHEAPNESS !!! jokn McClellan,

214, Bradford Rd. North

Page 225

It needs only toadd that the Huddersfield Corporation owns the Cemetery which it acquired at a cost of some £18,000; that it has thrown open to the public at moderate charges, the Lockwood and the Central Baths; that it was

R. S. DUGDALE, Esq., Borough Surveyor. From a Photo.] [by Seliman & Co.

one of the if not the first municipal bodies to take advantage ofthe Artizans Dwellings’ Act, by erecting in 1880-82, at Turnbridge, commodious dwelling-houses, let to working men at rents ranging from 3/4 to 6/- a week, and it will be


Page 227

seen how thoroughly, how comprehensively, the governing body has seized every statutory power the legislature has conferred upon it for securing the welfare,

Page 228

The Lion

Page 229

itself becomingly. The Municipal Offices, comprising the Council Chamber, the Mayor’s Parlour, and Reception Room, the Town Clerk’s Rooms, and other Departmental Offices, was built in 1878, at a cost of about £19,000, and save that the central corridor is usually shrouded in a gloom that we may pilously hope never invades the Council Chamber, the abode of the Council is not unworthy of the town it has done so much to mould and fashion. The Town Hall, erected in 1879, at a cost of about £57,000, is a noble building, ignobly posed. Had sucha building, devoted to such a purpose, replaced the ugly rotundity, hideous as a nightmare, in Cloth Hall Street, how fitly would it have capped the town !

The following gentlemen have occupied the Mayoral Chair :—

CHARLES HENRY JONES, J.P.,1868—1871. Elected four times. WRIGHT MELLOR, J.P., D.L., 1871—1873, 1883-4, 1886-7. Elected four times. HENRY BROOKE, J.P., 1873-4. DAVID SYKES, J.P., 1874-5. JOHN FLIGG BRIGG, J.P., 1875-6, 1881-3. Elected thrice. JOSEPH WOODHEAD, J.P., 1876-8. Elected twice. ALFRED WALKER, J.P., 1878-80. THOMAS DENHAM, J.P., 1880-1. JOHN VARLEY, J.P., 1884-6. Elected twice. JOSEPH BROOKE, J.P., 1887-9. Elected twice. GODFREY SYKES, J.P., 1889—1891. REUBEN HIRST, J.P., 1891—1893.

Page 230

Littlewood & Lockwood


Manufacturers of all kinds of


in Cork, Patent and Syphon Bottles.


Page 231

family removed to Deighton. The future Mayor received his early education at the Woodhouse Church School, supplementing that elementary course by attendance at the

HIS WORSHIP THE MAYOR, Alderman JOHN LEE WALKER, J.P. From a [by Sellman & Co

classes of the Mechanics’ Institute, of which he was sub- sequently a teacher. He was elected to the Council for the Bradley and Deighton Ward in 1882; was raised to the Aldermanic Bench in 1893 by a unanimous vote of the


Page 232

West Riding Hotel,

30, Buxton Road § 2, John St.,



Page 233

Council, a remarkable tribute to his popularity with the members of the governing body of the Town; and in 1895 and 1896 a similar vote constituted him Chief Magistrate of what is practically his

Page 234


fron & Tin-plate Workers, Coppersmiths, &c.,

Page 235

Huddersfield will ere long, one cannot but hope, abandon the cruel anomaly of creating in the elementary schools an intellectual hunger which there exists, at present, no public

means of satisfying.

CHAS. HY. JONES, Esq., First Mayor of Huddersfield.

From a Photo.] [by Sellman & Co. Prior to 1832 Huddersfield returned no representative to Parliament. Its voice in the National Council was mute. County voters rode to York to record their open declarations


Page 236



Newsagent, Stationer, &c.,

Page 237

of party allegiance, and many were the frays on the road between the Whig and Tory freeholders. The Reform Act of 1832, however, enfranchised Huddersfield. The population

From a

Page 238



JOINERS, Builders, Undertakers,


Funerals Furnished and carefully superintended at moderate charges. Jobbing Work promptly attended to. Estimates giver.


Page 239

for at the first election, in December, 1832, the maiden constituency was wooed not by Whigand Tory suitors but by a Whig and Liberal. This is the more noteworthy when one considers the oligarchical character of the electorate before the introduction of household suffrage. The following table gives in brief the parliamentary history of the town :—

1832, Fenton,

Page 240


Page 241

1853 (April), Mr. Stansfield having been unseated on petition.

Page 242

JOSEPH WOOD, Wholesale

Page 243

Summers, William

Page 244

business enterprises of the age.

Page 245

The following table will enable the reader at his leisure to institute a comparison between the ratio of populous increase in our own and adjacent communities :—

POPULATION, 1871 1881 1891 dis 28,069 30,854 33,146

Page 246

Hubert - Curner,

Page 247

and sober artizins. They

Page 248


Page 249

Stretching from the heart of the town up the hill side are line after line of well-built roomy cottages, each with its little garden patch. They are built of good freestone, enter one—you will find a kitchen or house with good range, well papered and druggeted, the shelves rich in crockery, and the walls glistening with brightly polished tins. There is a sitting-room, well furnished, its wall adornment betraying some aspirations after art. There are many books, tastefully bound, flanking the Family Bible, and it is odds there is a harmonium

Page 250



Sanitary Steam Laundry Co.,

Page 251

on Wednesday morning she again went to work till Thursday night ; Thursday night she came home and slept that night, if she could ; she went on Friday, and remained on until five o’clock on Saturday night. He observed that this was cruel. She replied, ‘ If I don’t go they will get another, and some must doit!’ He said it was impossible, and that they could not subsist thus; but they said

Page 252


Page 253

stately, graceful bearing and swan-like movements of patrician beauties and see it claimed that these are the hall mark of lofty birth and ancient lineage, I wonder how long


From a

Page 254



Page 255

body, endured by the grandmothers of the lads and lasses of to-day.

Page 256

JOHN MOODY, Hydraulic Engineer & Machine Maker,


Page 257

of the posterity they blessed so abundantly :—Wm. Holt, Cotton Twister; John Leech, General Dealer ; Lawrence Pit-keithley, General Dealer; Samuel Glendinning, Cloth Merchant ; Job Bolland, Cloth Finisher; Wm. Kitson, Cloth Finisher ; John Hanson, Fancy Weaver ; Jos. Brooke, Furniture Dealer ; George Beaumont, Weaver, Almondbury ; John Hirst, Co-operative Stores Manager ; John Rawson and Wm. Rawson, late Cotton Spinners, Bradford ; Thos. Johnson, Weaver, Paddock ; Charles Earnshaw, Cloth Finisher, Paddock ; George Armitage, Paddock ; and, subsequently, William Armitage, South Crosland. On April 24th, 1832, a meeting in support of the Ten Hours Bill was held in the Castle Yard, York,

Page 258

Eddison, Taylor & Booth,

Page 259

those of the rear. Odastler and Ball were everywhere, cheering and encouraging the straggling bands. Fatigue, hunger, and thirst were borne with courage and self-denial.

[by F. Collins.


From a Photo.]

It was a great undertaking to conduct so many thousands to York. The night before the meeting Leeds was filled


Page 260

Che Advertiser Press,





Page 261

with people, who, having been refreshed and provided for a few hours rest, moved forward all that tempestuous night. many could not proceed in consequence of the weather. Thousands proceeded, mostly on foot, but some in carts and waggons which they provided for themselves. The appear- ance of the road was novel and impressive; it resounded with cheers, which were uttered by the pilgrims as others passed them in carriages of various sorts. Some groups had torches, composed of old ropes, and the undula- tions of the road afforded many views of illuminated groups, successively rising over the hills and disappearing the next instant, leaving a loud, long cheer behind as they sank out of view. With the early dawn, the race course at York began to teem with multitudes. Numbers were seen whose footsteps were traced in their own blood into the Castle Yard, and out of it homewards, occasioned by the length and wetness of the journey and the badness of their shoes and clogs. The night after the meeting, when Oastler undressed, the skin of the sides of his feet peeled off with his stockings. The operatives did not have it alltheir own way during this agitation. A Petition of Manufacturers, Millowners, and other persons interested in the Woollen Trade resident at Huddersfield and the neighbourhood, was presented to Parliament in August, 1831. The Petitioners took their stand on the principles of political economy, which had not then been relegated by Mr. Gladstone to the planet Saturn. They declared that

Page 263

poor man when he can get his own children into early employment. Those who are engaged in visiting the poor can testify that the first thing asked for is their influence in getting their children into a woollen mill, that the keeping of a time book is an oppressive regulation ; the master may keep one if he chooses for his own safeguard, but he ought not

Page 264

Advertiser Press, £td.,


Page 265

poorer and less happy days that it should be a point o7 honour with them to maintain, wherever and whenever needful, the cause of the poor and oppressed.

HIS HONOR, JUDGE CADMAN. It will not need insisting that the artizan of to-day plies his craft under conditions far better than prevailed in his father’s time. How about wages? A Select Committee of the House of Commons, sitting in 1825, took evidence as to the condition of the woollen industry at that time. John Swift, of Newsome, was one of the witnesses. He


Page 266


Page 267

averred that his employer, Mr. Joshua Boothroyd of Almondbury, who had about 300 men working as weavers in their own homes, paid those who were weaving

Page 268


Page 269

Black Tea was so recently as 1816 Raw

Page 271


Paddock at the beginning of the century. A theatre and a music hall now afford a stage to excellent companies, and the higher drama appeals to senses once ravished by the strolling players of Tom Wild’s booth. As _ to .the educational condition of the people you may contrast, you cannot compare, the past with the present of the Queen’s long and prosperous reign.

In this district, at all events, however other parts of the country may have fared, the material possessions and environments of the general people are immeasurably superior to those of sixty years ago. The wisdom of Parliament has entrusted the destinies of the nation and the government of the municipalities largely to an electorate so extended that little enthusiasm exists for its further expansion. These boons have not come unsought. They are the precious heritage of our fathers’ strife. There is a danger that the rising generation may lightly prize the blessings that have come to them by inheritance and not won by its own sacrifice and toil, but this brief narrative will not have been written in vain if it impress on the minds of those, with whom, under God, the future rests, the labours and the sacrifices that have sanctified the past.


Page 272


Page 273


Page 274


Page 275

adopted as most fitting to be laid before the citizens, as the channels through which they might express their loyalty

and liberality during this eventful and happy year of Her Majesty’s Reign: I.

Page 276


Industrial Society

Page 277

The proposed

Page 278

The sum of £2000 is on the estimate of a shilling a head, which will cover the expenses of Medal, Tea and Entertainments for the Scholars, and the necessary outlay en the Poor People’s Treat.

Whatever sums may be raised for Trained Nurses for the sick poor, and for the establishment of a Free Library, all are agreed that ‘‘ Local must take the first place. I appeal, on behalf of the Committee, to all classes in the community to give us their generous support. The character of the

Page 279

An Honorary Sub-Committee of leading architects and builders, under the chairmanship of Mr. Alderman Stocks, reported that the Buildings were very suitable for the purposes suggested; that the cost of fitting them up, including heating, electric lighting, furnishing, lavatories, &c., would be £1400; that the Furniture would be remov- able ; and that the expenditure which could not be utilized, in case of removal at the expiration of

Page 280

of £8,000 to the Infirmary, and the proposed Institution for Trained Nurses, will together make generous provision for the bodily wants of the suffering poor. On the other hand, a Free Library and Art Gallery, offering access to the best and purest literature and art of all ages, will ennoble and enrich the mind, and inspire the loftiest ideals of life and duty; and the whole will together fitly commemorate the marvellous intellectual and humanitarian progress which have marked the reign of Queen Victoria.


Chairman of Library Committee.


Page 281


raised in Huddersfield, then an Institution can be established on a sound basis, and by means of annual subscriptions, Nurses can be provided who will afford an immense amount of relief to the sick and destitute in this neighbourhood.


Page 282

proposed to call a meeting of the Donors and Subscribers at a future date to consider how the funds raised can be applied to the best advantage.

As the provision of Free Nurses is in conformity with the expressed wishes of Her Majesty and must benefit the sick and suffering poor in our town, it is hoped that those who are desirous of signifying their gratitude for benefits received during the Queen’s remarkable reign, will give this object their hearty and generous support. Both Donations and Annual Subscriptions are solicited.

CHAS. EDWD. FREEMAN, Chairman Nurses’ Committee.



Page 283

Copy of instructions issued to Sunday and Lay School Offictals.




We have pleasure in forwarding on the other side

a plan shewing the space and position allocated to each Sunday and Day School (the number allowed for as per return sent in) and place of entrance, and trust to the kind co-operation of the Sub-Marshals and all concerned in helping tocarry out allthe instructionsasimplicitly as possible so as to ensure success.

Page 285


Page 286


Page 287



Page 288

W. DALTON, Esq., Secretary Sunday Schools Sub-Committee.

A Procession will be formed in Ramsden Street at 10-5 aem. as follows :— Police. Yorkshire Dragoons. and Volunteer Battalion West Riding Regiment. Freemasons. Corporation Officials. Members of the Council. Aldermen. Deputy Mayor. His Worship the Mayor. The Town Clerk. Members of the Board of Guardians.


Page 289

Representatives of the Trademen’s Benevolent Institution. Other Gentlemen. Fire Brigades’ Band. Police.

All intending to join the Procession are requested to meet in the Town Hall (Ramsden Street entrance) not later than 9-45 a.m., and to form themselves in the order here given.

The Fire Brigades’ Band must be in Peel Street at

Page 290

After this Service, the front portion of the Procession will move forward along Cross Church Street, and the Mayor, Corporation, and Board of Guardians will leave the Church Yard by the South Gate and join the Procession, which will

Councillor OWEN BALMFORTH, Secretary of the Friendly and Trade Societies’ Club.

From a Phoio.} [by John Ed. Shaw, proceed to the Town Hall by way of Cross*Church Street, Queen Street, and Ramsden Street. On arriving at Ramsden Street the Dragoons and Volunteers will turn to the left and proceed to the. Armoury.


Page 291

On TUESDAY, the 22nd JUNE

A PROCESSION will be formed in Princess Street, at 2-30 p.m. prompt, and will proceed along Buxton Road, New Street, Westgate, Railway Street, into St. George’s Square, where upwards of 17,000 Teachers and Scholars will be assembled, and on the arrival of the Procession in the part allotted to them, the National Anthem and three Hymns will be sung, Mr. D. W. Evans conducting. After thesinging three Cheers will be given for Her Most Gracious Majesty, The Queen, and for His Worship, The Mayor.

After that the Procession will proceed along North- umberland Street, Northgate, Beast Market, Cross Church Street, and Queen Street, to Ramsden Street, where they will disperse.

The Scholars and Teachers who were in the square will, after the Procession has passed, proceed to their respective Schools, where Tea will be provided, after Tea they will proceed to the Parks.

During the Evening the ‘ Boarshurst” and “ Fire

Page 292


Prizes will be given for the Best Groomed Horses and Cleanest Harness ; full particulars and Forms of Entry may be obtained from Mr. Laycock,

Page 293

Messrs. J. Marshall & Co., Musical Instruments. Messrs. Be Shaw & Sons, Aerated Water Manufacturers. Messrs. J. H. Wood & Son, Fish Salesmen. Messrs.

Page 294

The Advertiser Press, Ltd., Printing and Bookbinding. Messrs. Morley Bros., Coppersmiths. + Mr. George Spivey, Hay & Straw Dealer. Messrs. Littlewood & Lockwood, Aerated Water Manu- facturers. Messrs. J. Longbottom & Sons, Slaters & Plasterers. Mr. B. Leonard, Butcher (Crate of Lambs). Mr. W. H. Neaverson, Glass and China Merchant. Mr. J. W. Wilson, Tinner and Plate Worker. Mr. R. Thurkill, Smith and Wheelwright. Mr. C. W. Sunderland, Cooper and Cask Dealer. Messrs. Calvert & Co., Engineers. Mr. W. M. Bradley, Egg Merchant. Mr. Fred Taylor, Dyer. Mr. H. Buckley, Coal Merchant. Mr. John Sugden, Drysalter. Messrs. Joseph Hanson & Sons, Milk Float. The Singer Manufacturing Co. Messrs. F. & A. Kershaw, Furniture Removers. Messrs. J. Hanson & Sons, Furniture Removers.


The Yorkshire Dragoons and the 2nd Volunteer Battalion West Riding Regiment will assemble in the Armoury, and at 2-20 p.m. prompt, will proceed along Queen St. South, up Princess St., where they will be joined by the Mounted Police (who will head the Procession), and then go along Buxton Road until the rear of the Volunteers has passed the Town Hall, when they will halt until joined by the Gentlemen who have assembled there.

Members of the Corporation, the Board of Guardians, Overseers and Assistants, and. other Gentlemen desirous of

joining the Procession are requested to meet in the Town Hall not later than 2 p.m.

Representatives of the Friendly and Trade Societies are requested to be in order of procession in Queen St. South, near the Guardians’ Offices, not later than 2-20 p.m.

Members of the Butchers’ Association are requested to assemble in Alfred St. and to be prepared to join the Pro- cession by 2-20 p.m.


Page 295

~ All Trades Exhibits must assemble in Queen St. South, between Firth St. and Princess St. in the order shown in this Programme, with their horses’ heads to Princess St., not later than

Page 296

the Procession. The Borough, Fire Brigade, and Post Office Bands must be in Alfred Street, not later than 2-15 p.m. prompt, ready to take up their respective positions in the Procession.

The Boarshurst and Fire Brigade Bands must be in Greenhead Park, and the Volunteer and Borough Bands in Longley Hall Park, not later than 5-30 p.m., and there play selections of music until 9g p.m. The Post Office Band will be conveyed to Beaumont Park in waggonettes, and will there play selections of music until 9 p.m.

As the Teachers and Scholars will be assembled in the Square from 1-30 to 2-30 p.m., it is desirable that they should not be kept waiting longer than necessary, the Procession therefore will commence to leave Princess Street, at 2-30 p.m. prompt, and all are earnestly requested to adhere strictly to the times here stated.

No horses will be allowed in St. George’s Square during the singing; this arrangement is made with a view of avoiding danger and accident, which might occur should any of the horses take fright. After the singing, the Trades’ Exhibits will follow the other portion of the Procession through the Square and along the Route to Ramsden Street.


During the Sunday Morning Procession, Ramsden Street, New Street, and Kirkgate will be closed for vehicular traffic, from 10-10 a.m. to 10-30 a.m. Kirkgate, Cross Church Street, and Queen Street will be similarly closed, from the closing of the service in the Parish Church until after the Procession has passed. All carriages going to or leaving the Parish Church from or to New North Road or Trinity Street, may do so by way of St. George’s Square, St. Peter Street, and Byram Street.

Page 297

allowed to pass through, or in any way to obstruct or impede the Procession. Waggons in which children have been conveyed to the Square, may be parked in Station Street until the proceedings in the Square are over. Carriages going to or from the Railway Station must do so by way of Railway Street or George Street, from 2 p.m. until after the Procession has passed down Northumberland Street. Any person who does not comply with these regulations is liable to a penalty of not exceeding Five Pounds, and no proprietor, driver, or conductor of any omnibus shall be liable to any penalty for any deviation from the Route prescribed in any license by reason of the regulations hereby made. See Huddersfield Impt. Act, 1871.. Sec. 248, and 1876, Sec.

Page 298

Mr. A. W. Keeley, B A. Dr. Marshall » W. H. Girling Councillor T. H. Moore » J. H. Trethewey Dr. Rawson

Page 299

JOHN SYKES, Esq., Clerk County Magistrates.

Poor People’s Annual Gathering Committee,

Page 300

Mr. A. Hellawell, Prospect Street

Page 301

Miss Crowther, Fernleigh », Blakeley, Rokeby, Birkby

Page 302

Mr. Robt. Brown, Clare Hill J. J. Grist, Edgerton Wm. Hirst, Imperial Road ,, Law Liversedge, Lightridge House, Fixby Councillor Oxley, 133, New Hey Road, Salendine Nook Mr. George Stead, 39, Hillhouse Lane

Page 303


Page 304

Mr. T. A. Hobson, 112, Upper Mount Street ,, Edward Day, Irby House, Bradford Road », W. France, Moldgreen Congregational W. Dalton, Syringa Street, Marsh », J. E. Sykes, Beech Street, Paddock 5,

Page 305

Rev. J. S. Drummond, Belgrave Terrace »,

Page 306

Colonel Freeman, J.P., Oakwood, Edgerton Mr. G. A. Hirst, Trades Societies’ Club.

Page 307


Preliminary Arrangements for Treat to Sunday and Day Schools. Rev. Canon Bardsley, M.A. Mr. J. B. Green.

Rev. W. H. Verity, Hon. Sec.

Page 308

Medals. Rev. Canon Bardsley, M.A. Mr. J. B. Green. Rev. W. H. Verity. sy

Page 309

Schools and Scholars continued,

Page 310


If so, then on no account neglect to see our Stock and the prices of the Goods.

furnishing Stock

Incomparable for Design, Choice, Selection, Workmanship, Materials, and Reasonable Prices.

Nowhere in Yorkshire can be seen a better selection of FURNITURE, etc., suitable either for the Cottage or the Palace, and to prove our assertions you have simply to call and see for yourselves. We give the best, very best possible value for money, and we defy all competition, from whatever

source it springs.


Page 312


The Best in the North of England.


Prices for Binding Monthly Magazines at the ““

Page 313

Established 1852.

Page 316

Page 317

KENSINGTON PALACE: THE BIRTHPLACE OF THE QUEEN. (From a Photo by York & Son, Notting Hill, W.)

Page 318


The Queen’s Dolls.

HE dolls played with by the Queen in her childhood formed the subject of an article in an illustrated magazine about five years ago, the article being revised by Her Majesty, who ave every facility for obtaining photographs of

Page 322


“When the fatal blow was struck, and the Prince was removed from this world, it is difficult to conceive a position of greater sorrow, or one, indeed, more utterly forlorn, than that which became the lot of the Survivor—deprived of him whom she herself has described as being I the ‘ Life of her Life.’” :

* * * *

The letters and speeches of Prince Albert, according to his brother, the Duke of Saxe- Coburg, give only a one-sided picture of his distinguished but very peculiar character, and do not

Page 323


WINDSOR CASTLE. (From a Photo by J. Russell & Sons, London and Windsor.)

Page 324


Page 325


H.R.H, THE PRINCE OF WALES, (From @ Photo by W, Heath & Co,, Plymouth.)

Page 326


stories were told of the criticisms, full of pawky humour, offered by the

Page 327


Page 330



At. Windsor Her Majesty has a tent pitched on the lawn. of Frogmore House. At Osborne she sits in a

Page 331


(From a Photo by G. W. Wilson & Co., Aberdeen.)

Page 332


Page 333


Page 335


Page 337


Page 338


Queen also rode in it to St. Paul’s on the occasion of the Thanksgiving Service for the recovery of the Prince of Wales.

Dining with the Queen.

Page 339


BUCKINGHAM PALACE, (From a Photo by G. W. Wilson & Co., Aberdeen.) ,

Page 341




Page 342


Page 345


event we find the Queen

Page 346


Page 348


Return to the Huddersfield Exposed home page
View the list of other OCR'd books